List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1040476

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, SCHOOL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityEydon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 234120

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EYDON SCHOOL LANE SP54NW (South side) 3/91 Church of St. Nicholas 04/02/69

GV II*

Church. C13 and C14. Restored and enlarged 1864-5 by R.C. Hussey who added the south aisle and extended north aisle east to form vestry. Squared coursed ironstone, limestone dressings, slate roof. Chancel, north vestry, aisled nave, south porch, west tower. East window of chancel, C19. Three C14 two-light windows with flowing tracery to south. North aisle has three 2-light C14 windows with flowing tracery, and late Perpendicular west window with 3 arched uncusped lights and square hood. C14 north doorway (blocked). Early C14 west tower of 2 stages has crenellated parapet and C19 pinnacles. Bell openings and west window with Y-tracery. West doorway has continuous mouldings, Interior: C14 piscina recess with cusped ogee arch in chancel. Chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders has corbels carved with leaves. 4-bay north arcade has double chamfered arches and early C13 round pier with square abacus to west. Other piers C19. Romanesque font, the base like an octagonal scalloped capital, recessed circular bowl with fluted decoration with band of stylised leaves around the top. Stained glass heraldic shields in windows of north aisle, c.1830 by Russell of Oxford. Stone effigy of a lady, C14 (badly weathered) in south aisle. Monument to the Rev. Francis Annesley, died 1811, by Bacon junior. Grey and white marble wall tablet with urn in shallow relief, above doorway in south aisle. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.211).

Listing NGR: SP5411249981

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 211

National Grid Reference: SP 54112 49981

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 03:51:55.