List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MILL HOLLOW

List entry Number: 1040417

Location

MILL HOLLOW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthoritySulgrave

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 234183

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SULGRAVE SP54NE 4/154 Mill Hollow

- II

House, formerly Mill house. C18 with C19 attic storey. Coursed limestone rubble, slate roof brick stacks. L-plan. 2 storeys, attic and cellar, 3 bays. Entrance in second bay from left has stone hood on brackets and C20 six-panel door in plair stone frame. 2-light casement window with wood lintel to left. 3-light casement window with wood lintel to right. Similar window in right bay and one-light window with wood lintel in second bay from right. 3-light windows with wood lintels in right bay and second bay from right on first floor. 2-light window in left bay. 2-light casement windows with wood lintels in attic, except in second bay from right with one-light window and wood lintel. All have C20 wood casements and leaded panes. Chamfered spine beam. 4-panel doors. Wing extending from left side. Squared coursed limestone and ironstone, slate roof, 2 storeys and attic, 2 bays.Entrance in left bay with plain stone arch and plank door, and casement windows with wood lintels. Interior: House has chamfered spine beams in ground floor room and C18 four-panel doors. Interior of left wing not inspected but said to have the remains of an iron mill-wheel of c.1840 in the right bay and the oven of former bakery in the left bay. John Brockliss, the owner of the mill, ordered machinery from Boulton and Watts in 1788. Letters concerning this order and specifications by Boulton and Watts are in Birminghan Public Library.

Listing NGR: SP5561645700

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 55616 45700

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2014 at 09:46:34.