List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHICHELE COLLEGE, SOUTH AND EAST RANGES AND ATTTACHED FOUNDATIONS

List entry Number: 1040390

Location

CHICHELE COLLEGE, SOUTH AND EAST RANGES AND ATTTACHED FOUNDATIONS, COLLEGE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireEast NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityHigham Ferrers

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 17-Jun-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 232332

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HIGHAM FERRERS COLLEGE STREET SP9668NW (West side) 18/33 Chichele College, south and east ranges and attached foundations GV I

Former college. c.1422. Regular coursed and squared coursed limestone with Collyweston slate roof. Originally quadrangle plan, south and parts of north, east and west ranges remain. 2 storeys. East range and gable of south range abutting road is a 3-window range at first floor level with a 2-light window with cusping and hollow reveals to left gable. Crocketted hood mould over. 2- and 3-light square-head windows to right also have hood moulds. Single-light square-head window to ground floor centre with small single-light window to left. Right range was the gatehouse and has gateway with 4-centred head, roll moulding, quatrefoils with shields in the spandrels and hood moulds with quatre foil decoration to label stops. 3 canopied niches above are re-decorated with crocketted pinnacles. 2 blocked openings to centre and right. Chamfered string. course between floors. Carved heads to either side of gable window are probably reset gargoyles. Ashlar gable parapets. Elevation of south range to left of elevation abutting road is now a 3-window range with large C15 two-light square-head window to right of centre. Leaded casement to first floor far right under wood lintel and casements to ground and first floor left also under wood lintel. Gabled porch to far left has datestone D/1914/L. Rebuilt lateral stack to centre also has datestone 1914. Ashlar gable parapet and stone stack at end. Elevation of south range to quadrangle has a 2-window range to right with one C15 two-light square-head window to first floor far right and 2 similar single-light windows to ground floor below, all with cusping and hood moulds. Casement windows under wood lintels to ground and first floor, right of centre. C15 doorway to right of centre has 2-centred arch head, roll moulding, decorated spandrels and hood mould. Gable to left has early C20 three-light stone mullion windows to ground and first floor, that to ground floor has a transom. Rear wall of gatehouse is attached to far left of the quadrangle elevation of south range and is the internal elevation of the features described for the gatehouse abutting the road. Attached foundations originally formed part of north, east and west ranges. Interior of south range not inspected but noted as having full-height chamber known as the chapel at the east end and ground floor rooms to west end with ceiling beams; part of first floor oversails into the chapel. The college was founded by Archbishop Henry Chichele and was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, St. Thomas of Canterbury, and St. Edward the Confessor. It provided for 8 secular canons, 8 clerks and 6 choristers. It was dissolved in 1542. Chichele College, south and east ranges form a group with Chichele College north range and attached foundations (q.v.), Chichele College, group of foundations (q.v.) and Chichele College, perimeter wall gateway and attached foundations (q.v.). Chichele College is-scheduled as an ancient monument and is under the guardianship of H.B.M.C.E. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.256).

Listing NGR: SP9602168645

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 256

National Grid Reference: SP 96021 68645

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2014 at 04:28:19.