List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1040381

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CRANFORD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireEast NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityGreat Addington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 232306

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT ADDINGTON CRANFORD ROAD SP9575 (North side) 14/7 Church of All Saints 23/05/67 GV II*

Church. C12 origins, mainly C13 and C14, restored C19. Squared coursed and regular coursed limestone and ironstone with lead roof. Aisled nave,chancel, north chapel, south porch and west tower. South elevation of chancel is 3-window range of 2-light Perpendicular square-head windows. Shallow gabled roof with plain ashlar parapets. Rainwater head has date 1891. 3-light Perpendicular east window. North elevation of chancel has C19 vestry attached with 2-light east window and north door. Rainwater head has initials 'J.T.'. South aisle of 2-window range of C14 windows with quatrefoils. 3-light east and west windows with segmental heads. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapets. Central gabled porch has C12 outer arch with spaces for 3 orders of shafts, stiff leaf capitals and zig-zag decoration to arch. Inner arch is C14 with roll mouldings. Ashlar gable parapets and finial base. North aisle and north chapel of 4 bays. 3-window range, of C14 square-head windows with ogee-head tracery and all with carved label stops. North door in bay to right of centre has stepped and chamfered semi-circular arch head. Small low-side square-head window in left bay. 2-stage buttresses between bays. Nave clerestory has 2-light square-head windows. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapets. Decorated west tower of 3 stages with 3-stage clasping buttresses to western corners. West door with roll mouldings has niche above with nodding ogee head and lozenge surround. Diamond window with cusping to south face of first stage and west face of second stage. 2-light window to south face of second stage and single lancet to north face. 2-light bell-chamber openings to each face of upper stage. Frieze above has ogee heads with quatrefoils in the spandrels. Castellated parapet with cross slits. Flat-topped stair turret behind parapet in south-west corner. Interior: I-bay nave arcade of double chamfered arches of limestone and ironstone. Octagonal piers, and north arcade has one quatrefoil pier. Double chamfered chancel arch and triple chamfered tower arch. Double chamfered arch from north aisle to north chapel and similar arch from chancel to north chapel. C19 roof structures. Staircase to former rood loft has doorway with 4-centre head. Recess in south wall of south aisle has arch head with roll moulding, stiff-leaf finial and flanking pinnacles. Perpendicular screen in both arches to the north chapel. Tub font with central column support and 4 detached columns; 4 carved heads around bowl. Piscina or holy water stoup supported on detached column. Late C17 pulpit. Early C19 pews, those on south side have door. Plank door with original lock to south porch. Monuments: John Bloxham c.1519, brass figure left of altar with scroll emanating from head, on a plain chest-tomb. Sir Henry Vere died 1493, in north chapel, formerly Chantry Chapel, alabaster effigy. Various C18 tablets to Lambe family and C19 tablets to Tyley family in chancel. Stained glass: low-side window in north chapel has reset medieval glass, also fragments of similar glass in north aisle window. C19 stained glass to east windows of chancel and south aisle. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.228).

Listing NGR: SP9586275114

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 228

National Grid Reference: SP 95862 75114

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2014 at 01:53:18.