List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1040308

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireEast NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityAldwincle

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 232438

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL0081 ALDWINCLE MAIN STREET (East side)

11/7 Church of St. Peter

23/05/67

GV I

Church. Late C12, mainly C13, restored C19. Squared coursed limestone with ashlar tower and spire and lead and Collyweston slate roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, south porch, north vestry and west tower. South elevation of chancel of 3-window range of tall, 2-light, windows with C19 tracery. Window to left has low cill and a transom. 2-stage buttresses to right and at corner. Shallow gabled roof with plain ashlar parapet and C19 finial. 5-light Perpendicular west window is flanked by 2-stage buttresses. North elevation of chancel is of 3 bays. One 2-light window, similar to south elevation, to far right. Gabled vestry breaks forward to left. South gable has small C13 lancet in apex. Cl9 two-light window in return wall. C19 door opening in right return wall. Gabled roof with Collyweston slates and ashlar parapets. C19 lateral stone stack to right of vestry. South aisle of 4 bays, 3-window range. 2-light window to right and 3-light window with 4-centred arch head, to centre, both with Cl9 tracery. Window to left has carved label stops. 2-light window to far left has Y-tracery with cusping and trefoil circle. Lean-to roof with castellated ashlar parapet and remains of 3 gargoyles. 2-light east window has Y-tracery with cusping and trefoil circle. 2-light west window with Y-tracery and transom. Gabled porch to left of centre has roll-moulded outer arch and similar restored inner arch. 2-light square-head windows in return walls. North aisle of 4 bays, 3-window range. 2-light windows to far left and right with Perpendicular and reticulated tracery. 3-light window to left of centre has 4-centred arch head. Simple ogee-head north doorway to right of centre. 2-stage clasping buttresses at corners and 2-stage buttresses between windows. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapet. 2-light east and west windows with reticulated tracery. Nave clerestory of 4-window range of 2-light square-head windows with C19 tracery. Shallow gabled roof with castellated ashlar parapets and C19 finial. Decorated west tower of 3 stages with 2-stage clasping buttresses to tower. 2-stage moulded plinth. 2-light ogee-head west window in lower stage has C19 tracery and hood mould with carved label stops. Circular west window in middle stage has C19 tracery. 2-light bell-chamber openings with moulded reveals and reticulated tracery to each face of upper stage. Broach spire with tall broaches rising from corbel table. 3 tiers of lucarnes, the lower stage has circular shafts and semi-circular responds. Interior: 3-bay nave arcade of double-chamfered arches. West pier of north arcade is late C12, circular with a square abacus. East pier is a c.l300 quatrefoil. South arcade is C13 with circular piers, octagonal abaci, and corbelled responds. Double chamfered chancel arch and triple chamfered tower arch, both with corbelled responds. C19 roof structures. Ogee-head piscina, restored C19, to left of altar has stepped window cill forming a sedilia alongside. Priest door to vestry, opposite, has 2-centred arch head with roll mouldings. Shallow recess with arch head to left of doorway. Piscina in south aisle window cill has ogee head and single shaft support; second piscina to left has trefoil head. East walls of aisle has 4 corbelled brackets. Holy water stoup to left of south door has ogee head. Door to tower stair has stepped ogee head and roll mouldings. Octagonal font has cluster shaft support, with hollows. Monuments: Mrs. Davenant, c.1616, to left of altar has rectangular inscribed panel with strap surround. Armorial device with scrolls and dentilled cornice and obelisk above. Mary Manninge died 1780, oval tablet in north aisle. 2 early C19 marble tablets to Sandersen family in chancel. Stained glass: 3 south windows of chancel have early C14 glass at tracery level. Window to right has panels depicting St. Christopher and St. George. C19 east window with medieval fragments in tracery. Late C19 east windows of aisles and west window of belfry. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.77; V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, Vol.3, p.168).

Listing NGR: TL0061681862

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 77
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1930), 168

National Grid Reference: TL 00616 81862

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 01:45:44.