List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WALLS, GATEPIER AND ATTACHED BANQUETING HOUSE AND BALUSTRADE APPROXIMATELY 80 METRES EAST OF DRAYTON HOUSE

List entry Number: 1040298

Location

WALLS, GATEPIER AND ATTACHED BANQUETING HOUSE AND BALUSTRADE APPROXIMATELY 80 METRES EAST OF DRAYTON HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireEast NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityLowick

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Jul-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 232511

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP9680 LOWICK DRAYTON PARK

12/77 Walls, gatepier and attached 23/05/67 Banqueting House and balustrade approx. 80m. E of Drayton House (Formerly listed as Drayton House)

GV II*

Walls, gatepier, banqueting house and attached balustrade. Late C17 for second Earl of Peterborough with later alterations. Squared coursed limestone walls and limestone ashlar gatepier. Squared coursed limestone banqueting house with ashlar facades and lead roof. Wall has gatepier attached to north and banqueting house attached to south. Banqueting house is one-unit, single-storey, one-window range. Tall fixed window with glazing bars and moulded stone architraves. Rusticated quoins, moulded cornice and plain ashlar parapet; roof not visible. Elevation to right has central doorway with moulded stone architraves and arms of second Earl of Peterborough above. 5 bays of ashlar balustrade attached to north of Banqueting House. 3 closed lead urns, probably by Van Nost are mounted on balustrade. Banqueting House forms pair with walls, gatepiers, gates and screens south and east of Drayton House; and Banqueting House, balustrade, statue and cistern (q.v.). (Gardens included in HBMCE Register of Parks and Gardens at grade I. Cornforth, J., 20th May, 1965, p.1216; Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.189; Jackson-Stops G, Drayton House, 1978).

Listing NGR: SP9634780146

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Jackson Stops, G - Title: Drayton House - Date: 1978
  2. Article  Reference - Title: 20 May - Date: 1965 - Journal Title: Country Life - Page References: 1216
  3. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 30 Northamptonshire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1961 - Page References: 189

National Grid Reference: SP 96347 80146

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2014 at 07:35:20.