List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1040265

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, MAIN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireEast NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityLowick

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 232540

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP98SE, SP9780 LOWICK MAIN ROAD (East side)

3/106, 13/106 Church of St. Peter

23/05/67

GV I

Church. Early C14 origins, mainly late C14 and C15 for Greene family of Drayton House. Restored 1869 and 1887. Squared coursed limestone with ashlar tower and lead roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, north chapel, south transept and porch and west tower. South elevation of chancel of 2-window range of 4-light Perpendicular windows with 4-centred arch heads, transoms and panel tracery. Priest door below right window. 2-stage buttresses between windows. Shallow gabled roof with plain parapet and pinnacle at corner. East windows of chancel and north chapel are identical 5-light Perpendicular windows similar to those of south elevation. Shallow gabled parapets, above each window, with finials. North elevation of north chapel of 2-window range of 3-light Perpendicular windows similar to those of south elevation of chancel but each reduced by one light by the centre panel of wall. 2- and 3-stage buttresses between windows and at corners. Shallow castellated parapet, with pinnacles at corners. South transept has 6-light Perpendicular south window with hollow reveals, segmental-arch head and castellated transoms. Similar 4-light west window and 4-light east window with central king mullion, transom and 4-petal flower tracery above each pair of lights. Shallow gabled roof and plain parapet with finial and pinnacles at corners. 2-bay south aisle with 2-light Perpendicular window, to right, with hollow reveals and 4-centred arch head. Similar 2-light west window. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapet. Shallow gabled porch in bay to left has finial and pinnacles. Roll-moulded outer doorway and early C14 moulded inner doorway with remains of Angel label stops. North aisle of 5 bays, 4-window range of 4-light Perpendicular windows with 4-centred arch heads, castellated transoms and tracery with mouchettes. North doorway in bay to far right has 2-centred arch head. Similar west window. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapets and pinnacle at corner. The north chapel breaks forward and is attached to the east end of the north aisle. Nave clerestory of 4-window range of 3-light Perpendicular windows with 4-centred arch heads. Shallow gabled roof with plain ashlar parapets and finial. Fine late C15 west tower of 4 stages has set-back, 3-stage, angle buttresses to lower 3 stages. Upper stage has panelled pilasters at corners. Quatrefoil frieze around base plinth, similar frieze with diagonals between second and third stage. West door with 2-centred arch head and square surround with quatrefoils in the spandrels, 3-light west window, above, has hollow reveals and 2-centred arch head. Small square-head 2-light windows to south and west faces of third stage. 2-light bell-chamber openings to each face of upper stage have ogee-head hood moulds. Quatrefoil frieze above and castellated ashlar parapets with central gargoyles. Large panelled and crocketed pinnacles at corners linked by flying buttresses to octagonal lantern. Cardinal faces of lantern have 3-light Perpendicular windows with 4-centred arch heads, transoms and intersecting tracery. Plain pilasters at each corner of lantern terminate as crocketed pinnacles. Castellated ashlar parapets. Central wrought-iron finial with compass points and weathervanes on all pinnacles. Sundial on south face of tower. 2 inscribed tablets attached to south aisle and porch, have bolection moulded pilasters. Interior: 4-bay nave arcade of double-chamfered arches with octagonal piers. Double-chamfered arches with octagonal responds to chancel and between north chapel, chancel and north aisle. Tall triple-chamfered tower arch with semi-circular responds. Perpendicular roof structure to north aisle has moulded cross beams and bosses; other roofs are mainly C19. Early C14 piscina and double sedilia to right of altar have crocketed gables with pinnacle between. Shallow tomb recess with cusping in north aisle. Perpendicular style stone screen across south transept. C15 bench ends in south aisle have fleur-de-lys and carved head poppy heads. Octagonal font. Monuments: Sir Rolf Greene died 1417 by Thomas Prentys and Robert Sutton, cost 40 pounds; pair of alabaster effigies on chest tomb in north chapel, with angels under canopies around the sides. Vaulted canopy above the head of each figure, base of shafts to support canopy over whole. Henry Green died 1467 and wife: chest tomb with panels and shields, in south transept with 2 brass effigies on lid. Edward Stafford, second Earl of Wiltshire, died 1499, alabaster effigy on chest tomb with lozenge panels inside cusped squared panels in south transept. William, infant son of first Earl of Peterborough, died 1625, plain tablet with detached columns supporting an entablature with a semi-circular device above, set between early C14 pinnacles, one with gable between, in north chapel. Roger Lane died 1690 and John Halford died 1690, inscribed tablets in chancel floor. Lady Mary Mordaunt, Duchess of Norfolk died 1705. Semi-reclining white marble figure on chest tomb with bolection-moulded pilasters. Sir John Germain died 1718, semi-reclining marble figure in armour, on chest tomb with 3 smaller semi-reclining figures. Lady Elizabeth Germain died 1760, inscribed brass tablet. Last 3 monuments in north chapel. Charles Sackville, fifth Duke of Dorset died 1843, white marble chest-tomb by Westmacott Junior has draped mantle, shield and coronet with lifesize angel seated alongside. C19 tablets to Sackville family of Drayton House. Stained glass: north aisle windows have panels of reset glass c.1330-40 depicting 16 figures originally from a Jesse window, with the exception of a kneeling figure. Centre bands of south chancel windows also have medieval glass. 6 windows with C19 stained glass in north and south aisles and chancel. 2 hatchments in south transepts and painted Royal arms above chancel arch. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.297; V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, Vol.3, p.231).

Listing NGR: SP9776381006

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 297
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1930), 231

National Grid Reference: SP 97763 81006

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 12:16:52.