List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SOUTHWICK HALL, ATTACHED WALLS AND STABLE BLOCK

List entry Number: 1040240

Location

SOUTHWICK HALL, ATTACHED WALLS AND STABLE BLOCK, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireEast NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthoritySouthwick

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 232681

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTHWICK MAIN STREET TL09SW (North side) 5/125 Southwick Hall, attached walls 23/05/67 and Stable Block. GV I

Country house. C14 for Knyvet family, datestones 1571 and GL/1580/ML record rebuilding of hall and cross-wing for George Lynn. Late C18 additions and alterations for another George Lynn and C19 additions and alterations for Capron family, some probably by E.F. Law. Squared coursed limestone and limestone ashlar with Collyweston slate roofs. Originally hall and cross-wing now irregular courtyard plan with attached stables. 2 storeys with attics and 3 storeys. Entrance front, to south, has C14 south-west wing, projecting to left and late C16 four-window range to centre and right. South-west wing has doorway with 4-centred arch head, inserted in 1909. C14 two-light window, with renewed geometrical tracery, above. Projecting stair turret and one bay to left of entrance is 3 storeys, of later C14. C16 round-head doorway to base of stair turret, and one-window range of simple single-light windows, with stone surrounds, to left. Steeply gabled roof to right with ashlar gable parapets, finials and ashlar end stack. Turret and bay to left have plain ashlar copings, with shallow gabled roof behind. Octagonal medieval end stack has cusped openings to each face; capping-is missing. Right gable of south-west wing has a 2-light, square-head, stone mullion window to first floor, set in a shallow projecting bay with a stone lean-to roof. Single-light window to ground floor of bay is reset. Similar, single-light window to first floor left. Narrow one-bay range to right of this elevation has gablet over and links with late C16 range. Late C16/early C17 square-head doorway at ground floor is now blocked. Single-light windows above have ogee and pointed heads. 4-window range to centre and right, on site of hall and cross-wing, has 3-and 4-light stone mullion windows; those at ground floor have transoms. Bay to left containing Dining Room, breaks forward and is gabled on 2 faces. Both gables have similar fenestration to 3 levels. Bay to right, containing the Justice Room is set back. Centre 2 bays containing the Hall have twin gables. Square-head door to right. Double chamfered plinth, moulded string course between floors and ashlar gable parapets, kneelers and finials. Ashlar ridge and end stacks have moulded cornices. Datestones 1571 to right and 1580 to left. Bellcote above right hand kneeler of hall range. Elevation to right of entrance front was partly reconstructed, and a first floor added, late C19. Irregular 5-window range with gable end of Justice Room to left. 2-and 3-light stone mullion windows. Carriage arch to far right has segmental head and ashlar dressings. Ashlar stack to apex of left gable and similar ridge stack. Garden front, to left of entrance front, is an irregular elevation dating from C14, late CIB and early C19. C14 south-west wing, to far right, has 3-storey gable end containing priest room with gable end of Gothic Room behind. One-window range with C19 two-light Gothic windows to each floor. Return wall of Gothic Room has one C14, two-light, window with Geometrical tracery. C19 bay to left originally a staircase, now hallway, has 2-light stone mullion window with transom. Hipped lean-to roof with gablet at apex. Early C20 glazed lean-to to left. Gable of Dining Room range, behind, has circular window in apex. Late C18 central projecting wing has canted wooden bay window, with Gothick glazing bars, to gable end. Central arch-head window above, with flanking smaller windows, all with Gothick glazing bars. Range to left has one large, first floor, tripartite sash window, with Gothick glazing bars. Lower section of window opens onto flat roof of single-storey C19 range. Gable end of north range to far left has lunette in apex. Rear elevation of north range has a 4-window range of early C19 leaded casements under flat stone arches, to right; 2 are blind. Irregular 2-window range of casements, to centre, with open through passageway to courtyard, at ground floor. C16 single-storey kitchen to far left has C20 garage door. Courtyard: rear elevation of entrance front has early C14 gabled projection to centre with a circular stair turret to right. Two 2-light stone mullion windows with evidence of arch-head window above, in gable. Stair turret has one cross light. Turret has C18 upper section with vertical slate hanging and conical roof. Gable behind turret also has vertical slate hanging. Courtyard elevation of north range has a lunette to left with a 7-light, part-leaded, casement above. Late C19 stables, now part dwelling, are parallel to north range and attached by C19 wall to western corners. C19 walls to eastern corners have ashlar gatepiers. 2 storeys, 5 bays with gabled centre bay breaking forward. Flanking half dormers with stone gablets over. Coach house doors to left and right of centre and stable doors to far left and right. Ashlar gable parapets and ashlar stack at ridge. Interior of main house: entrance hall is C14 undercroft of Gothic room in south-west wing and has vault with chamfered ribs carved corbels and central boss. Similar undercroft to left has chamfered ribs. Spiral stone staircase leads off this room and gives access to the Gothic Room, which has restored C14 fireplace with sloping hood and carved corbels. East window has arched recess, to left, and piscina to right and may have been used as an oratory. Partially visible moulded cross beams. Stained glass in tracery of north and south windows is C14 arms of Montfort of Beaudesert and Bohun. Priest room to left has a blocked fireplace beneath the window and blocked doorway to north wall, probably to a garderobe. Room above is similar. Inner staircase hall is probably C19 remodelling with C18 style turned balusters and panelling. Breakfast Room, to left, has C18 fielded panelling, half domed cupboard to left of door and reeded marble fireplace. Dining Room to right of staircase hall was former cross-wing and has C18 dado rail and wooden fireplace surround with restrained Rococo decoration. Hall to right of dining room has C18 style decoration said to be C19 remodelling; large fireplace surround and pulvinated friezes over doors. Passage to right of hall follows line of original screens passage and has C18 arch over and C14 doorway at north end. Justice Room to right has C18 stone fireplace with carved surround. C14 circular stair turret to north of train range has C18 wooden spiral stair. Undercroft to right has chamfered rib vault and 2 shouldered doorways. 2 first floor rooms, and lobby, over Dining Room have fielded panelling and one room has fireplace with eared surround. 2 first floor rooms above the Hall have plain barrel vaulted ceiling. The Oak Room, to the west, has C17 panelling, with decorated frieze, and stone fireplace surround. The Wainscote Room, to the east, has a C18 stone fireplace with eared surround. Attics over Dining Room range also have barrel vault ceilings. C16 kitchen in north range has raised cruck roof structure also open fireplace and arch head doorway, both now blocked. Room to left of kitchen has large open fireplace with bressumer and stop-chamfered spine beans, room above has fireplace with stone surround. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p405; RCHM: An Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p139; Oswald A., Country Life: 24 May 1962: p1236-1240; 31 May 1962: p1298-l301)



Listing NGR: TL0213692177

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 405
'Country Life' in 24 May, (1962), 1236 1240
'Country Life' in 31 May, (1962), 1298 1301
Other
Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire, (1984)

National Grid Reference: TL 02136 92177

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 11:56:32.