List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST RUMBALD

List entry Number: 1040178

Location

CHURCH OF ST RUMBALD, CHURCH WALK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireEast NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityStoke Doyle

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 232835

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STOKE DOYLE CHURCH WALK TL08NW (North side) 4/112 Church of St. Rumbald 23/05/67 GV II*

Church. c.1722-25. Limestone ashlar with lead roof. Hall plan with north transept and west tower. South elevation of 5 bays; 4-window range. Plain arch-head windows with moulded and eared architraves. Moulded cills with raised panel below, linking with plain plinth. All windows have leaded lights with radiating heads. Arch-head doorway to far left has 2 C19 plank doors with panelled head section. Rusticated surround and flanking Doric pilasters with open segmental pediment above. Plain pilasters to corners of elevation. Moulded cornice with plain parapet above, having one recessed rectangular panel to each bay. 3-light Venetian east window with square Doric columns and pilasters. Arch-head centre light and pulvinated frieze, with moulded cornice, above flanking lights. Raised panel below window similar to south elevation. Corner pilasters and parapet are also similar. North elevation of 4 bays; 3-window range with north transept projecting from bay to far left. Arch-head windows similar to south elevation but with plain cills. Chamfered plinth, corner pilasters, moulded cornice and plain parapet similar to south elevation. North transept is a one-bay projection with similar windows to those on north elevation, to each face. Those to north and west are blind. Chamfered plinth, plain corner pilasters, moulded cornice and low ashlar parapet. West tower of 3 stages with plain plinth. Plain pilasters at corners and moulded cornices between stages, also raised band between second and third stage. West door has arch-head leaded fanlight with moulded architrave. Pair of panelled doors with flanking Doric pilasters. Continuous moulded cornice above door. Oculus with leaded light in west face of second stage. Blind oculus in north face and clock face with single-handed mechanism in south face. Single arch-head bell-chamber openings to each face of upper stage. Moulded architraves and cills and moulded capitals at springing of arch. Doric capitals to corner pilasters and moulded cornice above. Open balustrade with square bolection moulded balusters. Square panelled plinths at corners, with obelisks. Interior: arch-head doorcases with Doric pilasters. Similar opening into north transept has iron gate across. All windows have similar surround to those externally. Plain coved ceiling with moulded cornice. C18 font on baluster stem. C18 communion rail with turned balusters. C18 fielded panelled pulpit. C18 pews cut down C19. C18 reredos with reeded pilasters and panels inscribed with the Ten Commandments flanked by the Lords Prayer and The Creed. Panelled dado throughout, fielded at east and west ends. Early C19 organ with Gothic case. Pair of sculptured angels above east window, added about 1835-40. Monuments: Mrs. Frances Palmer died 1628; monument on wall to left of altar has flanking detached columns with heraldic device above; she is a recumbent figure with husband kneeling alongside. Sir Edward Ward died 1714, north transept, by J.M. Rysbrack, semi-reclining figure, white and grey marble, reredos with Ionic columns and pediment. Katherine Hunt died 1760, marble tablet to right of altar. Mrs. Roberts died 1819, to left of altar, reclining female figure with husband kneeling alongside. Various inscribed tablets from C17 to C19 in sanctuary floor. Various C19 wall tablets to Capron and other families. Colvin attributes design of Church to Thomas Eyre of Kettering. (Buildings of England; Northamptonshire, p.417; Calvin, H.M., A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1660-1840, p.279).

Listing NGR: TL0265486261

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Colvin, H M - Title: A Biographical Dictionary of English Architects 1600-1840 - Date: 1954 - Page References: 279
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1961 - Page References: 417

National Grid Reference: TL 02654 86261

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2014 at 03:23:02.