List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1040166

Location

MANOR HOUSE, MILL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireEast NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityBrigstock

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 232801

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGSTOCK MILL LANE SP9485 (South side) 15/78 Manor House 26/05/67 - II*

Manor house. Probably C12 origins, mainly late C15 and mid C16, altered C17/C18, restored mid C19 and extended c.1887 by Gotch and Saunders. Squared coursed limestone and ironstone with ashlar dressings and Collyweston slate and C19 plain-tile roofs. Hall with cross wing forming L-shape plan with additions. 2 storeys with attic. Main front is irregular 6 bays with bay to left breaking forward as 2-storey gabled cross wing with attic. 3 bays to right of centre are original 2-storey hall. Bay to left of hall breaks forward as a 3-storey gabled porch corresponding with the original screens passage. Small doorway with 4-centred arch head. Flanking, 2-stage, clasping buttresses. Upper stage of porch in ashlar with 3-light first and second floor stone mullion windows. 2-window range of hall to right of porch has 2-light stone mullion windows with 4-centred arch heads, to ground and first floor; each has transom and cusped-head lights. Bay to right of hall is a later build and has one-window range of 3-light stone mullion windows to ground and first floor. Bay immediately left of porch has similar 2-light windows. Cross wing to far left has 4-light stone mullion windows with king mullion. 2-stage buttress between hall and bay to right. Chamfered plinth. Ashlar gable parapets and kneelers and ashlar stacks at ridge and end. Range set back to far left is c.1887 in similar style with 3- and 4-light stone mullion windows. 2-storey flat-roof link corridor, of same date, at intersection of C16 and C19 wings. Rear elevation of C19 range has 3 gables with 2-, 3- and 4-light stone mullion windows. Rear elevation of hall range is also entrance front. 3-window range; 2 windows to right are similar to those to main front of hall. Window to ground floor left is a 6-light stone mullion window with trefoil-head lights. Similar 2-light window above. Projecting porch to right is 2 storeys, 2-window range of 2-light stone mullion windows. Return wall of porch has doorway with 4-centred arch head and roll moulded surround. 3-light stone mullion window, above, has trefoil-head lights. Parapet wall with strapwork decoration. The porch is probably built with re-used masonry. Elevation at right angles to right of porch is mid C16 and C17 with gable and 2-, 3- and 4-light stone mullion windows. Ashlar gable parapets and stone stacks at ridge and end. The C19 range has plain-tile roof. Interior: Jacobean staircase with half landings, turned balusters and tall newels, probably partly reconstructed C19, Lower hall has spine beams, and reset C17 panelling said to have come from Warkton Church, restored C19. Library at far right of main front has fireplace with 4-centred arch head. Adam room to left of main front has Adam style marble fireplace and Adam style plaster mouldings, probably C19. Kitchen, to rear of Clb range, has large open fireplace. First floor hall has 3 arched braced roof trusses and fragments of stained glass in windows. Room to first floor far right of main front has fireplace with Roccoco style overmantle and Delft tile hearth, probably reset. First floor rooms over kitchen and Adam room have fireplaces with 4-centred arch heads. The present hall was probably built by Thomas Montague late C15 and the building extended by Roger Montague mid C16. It is suggested that the hall and porch roofs were raised and a gallery inserted. The Manor passed to the Dukes of Buccleuch who carried out mid C19 restoration and late C19 extensions. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.122; Gotch, J.A: Squires Homes and Other Old Buildings of Northamptonshire, p.9; Carpenter, R.H., St. Andrews Church, Brigstock, p.9 to 11).

Listing NGR: SP9452785228

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Gotch, J A - Title: Squires Homes and Other Old Buildings of Northamptonshire - Date: 1939
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Carpenter, R H - Title: St Andrew's Church Brigstock - Page References: 9-11
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1961 - Page References: 122

National Grid Reference: SP 94527 85228

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 12:45:00.