List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1039330

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
StaffordshireSouth StaffordshireDistrict AuthorityPattingham and Patshull

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Jun-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 271460

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PATSHULL C.P. PATSHULL PARK SJ 80 SW Church of St. Mary 7/144 27.6.63 II* G.V.

Parish Church. c1743, with late C19 additions. By James Gibbs for John Astley with additions by W.C. Banks. Sandstone ashlar with rusticated quoins; leaded roofs with raised verges and moulded eaves cornice. Single bay Chancel, 3 bay nave; north aisle; west tower; north vestry. Pedimented east gable and Venetian east window with corbelled sills and Tuscan pilasters; round headed windows to nave and Chancel, that in centre circular; central door with Tuscan porch. West tower has 3 stages with first floor band and second floor cornice; the bell chamber was added in 1877. It has round headed louvred openings with Tuscan pilasters and entablature and is capped by a leaded cupola. Interior: North arcade of 1877 with square piers with bracketed capitals and round arches; semi-elliptical Chancel and tower arches; coved plaster ceiling. Fittings: marble baluster font of 1740's; Communion rail; altar table and 2 chairs of same style and date with twisted balusters and legs; gilded wrought iron screen of 1893 by Banks. Monuments: Sir John Astley died 1532; alabaster, recumbent couple with small figures on tomb chest; Sir Richard Astley died 1687; standing figure and 2 seated wives; frieze between them of hnrsemen (these 2 monuments now form a composition); Lord Pigot died 1795 and Sir Robert Pigot died 1796. both by P.F. Chance, standing female figure by an urn. Medieval coffin lid standing against south wall of nave. B.O.E. Staffordshire (1974).

Listing NGR: SJ8006700668

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 38 Staffordshire,

National Grid Reference: SJ 80067 00668

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2014 at 08:38:23.