List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1038810

Location

ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ST JAMES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
StaffordshireLichfieldDistrict AuthorityClifton Campville

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Oct-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 272757

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 21 SW CLIFTON CAMPVILLE C.P. HAUNTON

2/6 R.C. Church of St. Michael and St. James

GV II

R.C. church. Mainly 1901-2 by Edmund Kirby, chancel of 1885. Ashlar; plain tile roof with crested ridge tiles. Cruciform, 3-bay nave with south porch, 2-bay chancel, single-bay transepts. Nave: to the west a group of 3 graded lancets, below each is a trefoil headed window, pilaster buttresses flank each window; north and south windows of 3 trefoil headed lights. Gabled north porch with king-post roof and diagonal braces; inside double half glazed doors in a wooden screen lead to a segmental pointed doorway with 2 massive half-roll orders. Transepts: east and west windows similar to those of the nave, transomed north window; square headed south door with roll moulded surround. Chancel: 3 lancets to the east under a common hood mould; 3-light south window, 2-light and single-light north windows, all have trefoiled heads. Interior: pointed chancel arch flanked by 2 pointed niches containing images of Christ and of Mary and Child; ribbed segmental arch to north transept; scissor braced roof trusses. Fittings: font in a Romanesque style rectangular basin with blind arcading containing mythical creatures stands on 4 slim columns with cable moulding. Octagonal wooden pulpit with panelled and traceried sides. Stained glass: all nave windows, east window and all the north transept windows have early C20 glass. B.O.E. p.148; Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire (1904) p.131.

Listing NGR: SK2363510811

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Staffordshire - Date: 1904 - Journal Title: Kellys Directory - Page References: 131
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Staffordshire - Date: 1974 - Page References: 148

National Grid Reference: SK 23635 10811

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2014 at 03:00:45.