List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, HAWKESYARD PRIORY

List entry Number: 1038764

Location

ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, HAWKESYARD PRIORY, ARMITAGE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
StaffordshireLichfieldDistrict AuthorityArmitage with Handsacre

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Jan-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 272849

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ARMITAGE WITH HANDSACRE C.P. ARMITAGE LANE SK Ol NE 6/3 Roman Catholic Church of St. Thomas,Hawkes- yard Priory

GV II

Priory Church. Circa 1900 to designs by E. Goldie. Red brick (English bond) with ashlar dressings; roof hidden behind a plain parapet. 9- bay nave and chancel in one with north-west and south-west chapels and with porch and corner buttresses with crocketed pinnacles. The church encloses the south side of the quadrangle around which the conventual buildings were erected. Doorway of 3 moulded orders and 4-centered arch. East window of 7 cinquefoil-headed lights and panel tracery beneath a Tudor arch with hood mould terminating in carved angels bearing shields. At the apex of the east gable is a canopied niche containing a statue. Pointed north and south windows of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights with panel tracery and returned hood moulds. South porch with diagonal buttresses and wide Tudor-arch entrance. Cast iron rainwater heads with crenellations. Interior. Hammer beam roof with carved angels attached to the soffits of the hammerbeams over the chancel. Nearly full height stone reredos with a multitude of canopied niches containing statues. Full set of stalls with elaborately carved backs. Fan vaulted south chapel. Organ case of 1700-1 from Eton College carved with cherubs. Around the walls of the nave a series of stone tablets in the style of Eric Gill. Conventual buildings to the north not of special interest. B.o.E. p. 62.

Listing NGR: SK0663816257

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Staffordshire - Date: 1974 - Page References: 62

National Grid Reference: SK 06638 16257

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2014 at 05:23:45.