List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

List entry Number: 1038581

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
StaffordshireNewcastle-under-LymeDistrict AuthorityBetley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 17-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 273303

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BETLEY C.P. CHURCH LANE (south-west SJ 7448-7548 side)

10/24 Church of St. Margaret

17.11.66

GV . I

Parish church. Core of circa 1500 with C17 and C18 additions, heavily restored and partially rebuilt in 1842 by Scott and Moffat. Sandstone ashlar encapsulating a timber framed core; plain tile roof with shaped tile bands and stone coped verge. West tower, 4-bay nave with side aisles; 2-bay chancel. West tower. Early C18 4 stages with diagonal buttresses and moulded cornice at the base of a coped parapet with corner pilaster strips. West door to the left with 4-centred arch. Possible former south door, now a window, with semi-circular head and ogee moulded surround. Second stage west window of 2 semi-circular headed lights. 4-centred belfry windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights and Y-tracery with ogee-moulded surrounds. Nave and aisles. Both aisles have slim buttresses at the bay divisions and corners, the latter being diagonally placed; and square- headed windows with 3 trefoil-headed lights, panel tracery and returned hood moulds. Similar east and west window of 2 lights. Coped aisle parapets with string course incorporating carved human heads. C19 timber framed north and south porches, each with pointed entrance, braced king- post in the gable, and shaped barge boards. Timber framed clerestory with diagonal braces between windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights and sunken spandrels. Chancel. 1610. Chamfered plinth and slim buttresses, those at the corners projecting diagonally. Each side has a square headed window of 3 trefoil-headed lights with sunken spandrels and a hollow chamfered surround. Priest's door to the south with pointed arch and wave moulded surround. Large 5-light pointed east window with sub-arcuated Perpendicular tracery and hollow chamfered hood mould terminating in carved human heads. Interior. Timber arcades of circa 1500: oct- agonal columns with moulded capitals, from which spring arched braces with ogee and quarter round mouldings, which form the arches of the arcades and which brace the tie beams of the main roof trusses. The columns continue upwards to the wall plate of the clerestory showing this to be an original feature even though it has been subject to considerable restoration. Open timber roof with cambered and brattished tie beams and cambered collars; raking struts extend between the two; 2 pairs of moulded purlins and 2 sets of curved windbraces. C19 aisle roofs of slanting tie beams on curved braces. Arch braced collar roof of 1610 over the chancel; the braces spring from console brackets and there are decorative pendants. Fittings. Baluster font in the chancel with scalloped basin, probably C17. Wall panelling around the sanctuary of similar date. C19 stalls decorated with poppy heads. Chapel in the east bay of the north aisle with early C16 screen: Perpendicular with linenfold panels and open arches above, and a carved frieze of vine leaves, grapes and a continuous undulating stem. C17 hexagonal pulpit with 2 tiers of panels carved with semi-circular arches springing from Ionic columns; gadrooning around the top and guilloche ornament to the edges. C19 pine pews. Font, probably C13: cylindrical stem with moulded base, and quatrefoil section basin. Monuments. Ralph Egerton, died 1610: 3 kneeling figures: man, woman, and female child; heraldic shields in the background, Ionic columns to each side and a top with central semi-circular arch. George Tollet and Elizabeth Tollet, erected 1768: architectural tablet with open semi-circular pediment, and urns crowning the corners. B.o.E. p.68.

Listing NGR: SJ7555648459

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 68

National Grid Reference: SJ 75563 48459

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 12:53:34.