List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1038158

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
StaffordshireStaffordshire MoorlandsDistrict AuthorityAlstonefield

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 274373

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK1255-1355 ALSTONEFIELD C.P. CHURCH STREET

9/20 Church of St. Peter 1.2.67.

G.V. I

Parish Church. Oldest parts are C12: partly rebuilt in C13 and C14; extended and repaired in C16; refurbished C17: re-roofed C18; restored 1870. Coursed limestone rubble and sandstone ashlar; slate roofs. 3 bay chancel, 4 bay nave, North and South aisles, West tower. Chancel: C13 lancets, one on North sideland 2 on South side; one early C14 2- light window on each side; plaques bearing initials 'L.B.' and the date '1590' refer to the rebuilding of the East wall of the Chancel by Lawrence Beresford; East window with reticulated tracery restored 1870. Nave: C16 clerestory window of 2 lights. North Aisle: Probably C16, 4-centred windows of 3-lights; porch of 1870, incorporating 3 fragments of Anglo- Saxon carved stone to C16 door with Tudor arch and returned hood mould. South Aisle: C19 lancet at West end of aisle. C19 window at East end of aisle with cusped intersecting Y-tracery. C15 square headed windows to right of porch, hood moulds stopped by grotesque heads; C13 lancet to left of porch; gabled South porch of c1300 with pointed barrel vault and stone slate roof, buttresses to angles and sides, C12 South door reset. West tower: Late C16; 4 stages, angle buttresses; West door- way with deeply hollowed recess hood mould stopped with figures; spandrels decorated with shield and foliage, iron studded door; 4-centred West window of 3 cinquefoiled lights; third stage window to West has trefoiled ogee arch beneath square head; belfry string and belfry openings with Y- tracery; crenellated parapet with string course and corner crocketed finials. Interior: C14 South arcade and North arcade of c1500. C12 chancel arch of 2 roll-moulded orders springing from scalloped capitals on engaged columns. Tower arch has chamfered inner arch and ovolo moulded outer arch springing from semi octagonal piers with moulded capitals. Open timber roof dated 1737 with tie beam and short king post and queen posts supporting a ridge piece and double purlins respectively, braces to the tie beam spring from corbels decorated with grotesque heads, foliage and fleurons; chancel has a C19 scissor truss roof. Fittings: C20 stone font; early C17 box pews bearing inscription: "JOHN BERESFORD / ROBERT BOSTORNE IS 1637 E.S."; Cotton family box pew at East end of North aisle with canopy. heavily decorated and with family coat of arms; double decker pulpit (originally 3-decker) inscribed "ROBERT BOSTORNE / THOMAS . WESTON /ROGER . YATE 1637 / CHURCH WARDENS." panelled with carved decoration. Balustraded altar rail probably late C17; balustraded West screen in South aisle and tower screen probably early C17. Double aumbry in chancel with roll moulded lancet openings, C13. At West end of North aisle are several fragments of carved Anglo-Saxon crosses, 2 stone bowls, possibly former fonts, several fragments of slim cylindrical columns or shafts; medieval coffin. Wooden plaque to Roger Farmer died 1682 on West wall of Chancel. B.O.E. P. 54.

Listing NGR: SK1327755347

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 54

National Grid Reference: SK 13280 55347

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2014 at 03:55:03.