List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

List entry Number: 1038155

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
StaffordshireStaffordshire MoorlandsDistrict AuthorityIlam

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 274471

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 15 SW ILAM C.P. ILAM PARK

8/113 Church of the Holy Cross

1.2.67.

G.V. I

Parish Church. The core is probably C11, partly rebuilt in C13 and extended in 1618 and 1831; the church underwent major restoration in 1855-6 under the direction of Sir George Gilbert Scott. Coursed and squared rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings; clay tile roofs with bands of shaped tiles and coped verges. West tower; 3 bay nave; Chancel; North aisel; NE and SE chapels; West Tower: C13 lancet to ground floor on South side; restored West window of 2 trefoil headed lights; 2 trefoiled belfry openings to each side Saddleback roof. Nave: South side has 1 tall C13 lancet to the left and a restored C14 window of 3 trefoil headed lights beneath a square head to right; this encroaches on a blocked, probably Anglo-Saxon, round headed doorway; C19 gabled porch to left. Chancel: The East window of 1855-6 has 3 cusped, graded lancets framed by nook shafts with naturalistic foliage to the capitals and a continuous hood mould terminating in busts of a king and queen. North Aisle: Late C13 style windows of 2 cusped lights with pointed trefoil above; door to right; West window tracery incorporates a 6-lobed star. N E Chapel: 1831. Octagonal plan; biggest feature of church and almost free-standing; windows have 4-centred arches, cusped, intersecting tracery and hood moulds; each of the 4 northernmost faces has a trefoiled head loop. Buttresses at the angles terminate in small gables decorated with buses. S E Chapel: St Bertram's Chapel. Date over south door presumably refers to restoration of former Charity Chapel. "RM/RP1/NH/1618". Windows have square heads with ogee and sunken spandrels; Tudor arch doorway with hood mould terminating in busts. Interior: North arcade by Scott: cylindrical columns with moulded bases and capitals; roll moulding and roll and fillet moulding to pointed arches; naturalistic foliage at springing point. Chancel arch by Scott, pointed with 3 orders of moulding: roll, kell, and roll and fillet; engaged colums with naturalistic foliage to capitals; hood mould terminating in busts of a queen and a bishop. Tower arch: Pointed and chamfered arch springing from corbels. Nave roof is of crown post construction with scissor bracing, bolted rather than jointed. Chancel: Reredos by Scott; small aumbry on N side; wagon roof. David Pike Watts Memorial Chapel: Moulded vaulting ribs springing from corbels with angels carved on them; bosses along the ridge rib with armorial bearings surrounded by naturalistic foliage; frieze around foot of walls consisting of lozenge shapes containing quatrefoils. Fittings: Font Romanesque, probably C12, circular bowl with figures carved on sides. Rood screen and screen on South side of Chancel; designed by Scott and made by Skidmore of Coventry; wrought iron with arrangements of flowers and foliage with arches and quatre- foils in the squares. Monuments: Meverell Monument: Alabaster; 2 reclining figures coats of arms to side and end of chest tomb. Inscribed: "HERE LYETH Y BODIES / OF ROBERT MEVE / RELE ESQV. & ELIZ / HIS WIFE DAUGiiTER / TO S. THO. FLEMING / KNI.T & LORD CHIEF JUSTICE OF Y KINDS / BENCH BY WHO HE / HAD ISSUE ONLY ONE / DAUGHT WHO MARRIED THO. LORD CROMWELL( VISCONTE LE GAILE / WCH."ROBERT DIED THE 5TH OF FEBR . AN ° 1626 / & ELIZAB TH / DEPARTED 5TH OF AVGVST 1626". Above is a wall monument depicting Meverell's daughter and her three young children all kneeling within an aedicule of Corinthian columns supporting a semi-circular arch; surmounted by a pedestal with upraised hand brandishing a sword, shields to either side. Shrine of St Bertelin: probably C14; open quatrefoils to sides and ends of chest. David Pike Watts Memorial by Sir Francis Chantrey: Male figure sitting up to receive a kneeling female figure. and 3 children; chest tomb below has panelled sides with armorial bearings. A large and impressive piece of sculpture.

Listing NGR: SK1326850697

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 13269 50697

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jul-2014 at 09:32:41.