List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

List entry Number: 1036423

Location

CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, DUCK STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WiltshireUnitary AuthoritySutton Veny

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 313442

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SUTTON VENY DUCK STREET ST 94 SW (off south side) 4/220 Church of St. Leonard 11.9.68

GV II

Anglican parish church, now redundant. C12, C13, C16, chancel arch blocked and west part of church partly dismantled 1868, declared redundant 1970. Rubble stone, tiled roof with hip to east end of chancel. Former cruciform church with crossing tower, now only chancel is intact. South side of partly dismantled nave has double-chamfered pointed doorway with cusped niche over, string course and two former windows either side, transept mostly demolished. South side of chancel has blocked central pointed doorway and blocked 3-light C16 window with Tudor-arched lights, clasping buttresses to east end; C19 three-light Perpendicular- style window with bolection-moulded tablet to Anne Holland died 1728 to left and tablet to William Lawes died 1794 to right. North side of chancel has blocked lancet and two deeply chamfered lancets, blocked Tudor-arched doorway. Dismantled north transept. North side of nave has three blocked windows, round-arched C12 doorway with water leaf and stiff leaf capitals, missing tympanum. West end has Tudor-arched doorway, formerly with windows over. Interior of former nave retains trefoiled piscina on south wall, C13 crossing with triple chamfered arches on chamfered responds. Interior of chancel reroofed 1868 to provide mortuary chapel to Church of St. John, completed same year, Tudor-arched doorway set in blocked chancel arch. C12 cylindrical font set on reused pier base. Fine collection of C18 and C19 wall tablets brought together in chancel, many signed examples including classical marbles to Rev. Brounker Thring died 1812, by King of Bath, to Giles Halliday died 1827, by Reeves of Bath, and a large classical marble to Hinton family by Randall of London. Earlier tablets include one of 1693 with good lettering to Margaret Bayly. Royal Arms of George IV over doorway and several prayer and benefaction boards. Good C19 stained glass in lancets on north side. (VCH, Wiltshire, Vol 8, 1965; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England - Wiltshire, 1975).

Listing NGR: ST9084941520

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
Pugh, RB, Crittall, E, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1965)

National Grid Reference: ST 90849 41520

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2014 at 08:16:12.