List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1035627

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, KINETON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityChadshunt

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 307031

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHADSHUNT KINETON ROAD SP35SW (West side) 7/35 Church of All Saints 30/05/67 GV II*

Church. Mid C12 nave, lengthened C14; early C15 clerestory, roof and buttresses. C17 tower. Chancel and north transept c.1730. Restored 1866 and 1906. Nave of squared coursed ironstone, remainder of ironstone ashlar. Nave has tile roof; chancel and transept have tile roofs with coped gable parapets and moulded kneelers; chancel has pediment. Chancel, nave, north transept, west tower. Chancel of one large bay, 3-bay nave. Chancel has plinth and cyma recta moulded cornices Venetian window has moulded stone architrave with fielded panelled mullions and keystones. Wall below breaks forward. Round-arched south window in stone architrave with impost blocks and keystone. North wall has monuments of 1788 and 1813 to the Whateley family. Nave has double splayed plinth to western part. Early C15 buttresses. Hollow-moulded cornice. C12 south doorway, with some C14 alterations, has Romanesque shafts and pointed arch of 2 orders, the outer moulded. Early C18 fielded 6-panelled door. Eastern window of paired lancets. 2-light C14 western window has reticulated tracery and hood mould. 3 straight-headed clerestory windows of paired trefoiled lancets, with hood moulds. South buttress has small carved head. North door similar to south, but round-arched with hood mould; left shaft missing. Clerestory window similar to south side. Parapet. North transept, containing family pew, has round arched window with keystone to east and west. North side has similar 2-light window with basket arched doorway breaking into the bottom. Fielded 8-panelled door with wrought iron strap hinges. Stone architraves throughout. Tower of 2 stages. Moulded double splayed plinth. Diagonal buttresses of 2 offsets to tall first stage. Low wide chamfered 4-centred west doorway has ribbed and studded door. Double-chamfered straight-headed west window of two 4-centred lights with sunk spandrels. Similar louvred bell openings. Moulded cornice and crenellated parapet. South-east stair projection has slit windows. Interior: chancel has deep coved plaster ceiling with rectangular panel and penetrations above east window and chancel arch. Double-chamfered round chancel arch without imposts. Nave has small C13 piscina and fragment of blind tracery. Restored low-pitched C15 king post roof has moulded tie beams and braces and stone corbels. Carved bosses below king posts, mostly foliage, but first bay has the Paschal Lamb, and a carved head on the post. Beam above chancel has numerous bosses. Double-chamfered round arch with moulded imposts to transept forming raised family pew. Panelled wood segmental barrel vault with moulded ribs and bosses. Fittings: C12 font has round bowl with intersecting blind arcading and nailhead, and moulded base. Chancel has dado of painted fielded panelling. Wrought iron parcel-gilt altar and chancel rails of c.1730. Fielded panelled pulpit c.1730. Panelled family pew, probably mid C19; front mid C20. Lobby to pew has elaborate mid C19 encaustic tiled floor. Stalls and pews throughout are mid C19. Stained glass: family pew has panels of Italian painted glass, said to be dated 1558, in stained glass settings of 1855. Wall monuments: chancel south: Sarah Clarke 1765. Nave south wall: Walter Newsham 1621: pilasters and large strapwork crest. William Askell 1613: brass. Michael Askell, died 1697, by Richard Taylor. Doric architrave with urn, seated putti and winged heads. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.V, pp.32-33; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.226).

Listing NGR: SP3493453024

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 32-33
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 226

National Grid Reference: SP 34934 53024

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 04:06:51.