List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1035601

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityStockton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 307225

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STOCKTON CHURCH STREET SP4363 (East side) 11/94 Church of St. Michael 30/05/67

GV II*

Church. C14 chancel and C15 tower. Nave and aisles rebuilt, and chancel part-rebuilt C19. Squared coursed lias banded with some sandstone to chancel and nave, with sandstone ashlar tower. Plain-tile and lead roofs. Chancel, aisled nave and west tower. Chancel of 2 bays with chamfered plinth, offset diagonal buttresses and coped gable to east with cross at apex. Restored C14 east window of 3 cusped lights with geometric tracery within double chamfered surround. Datestone of restoration above window: 1809. Pointed-arched doorway with C19 plank door to south with window of 2 cusped lights to right and C15 square-headed 2-light window to left. C19 gabled vestry to north with early C14 style 2-light window to east and square-headed window of 2 cusped lights to north. Nave of 4 bays with chamfered plinth, offset buttresses and hollow-chamfered eaves cornice to aisles. Coped gable to east. North aisle has 3 and south aisle has four C14-style windows, each of 2 cusped lights with quatrefoil tracery and hood mould. Further 2-light window to east aisle wall, with single cusped lights to east walls of both aisles. C19 sandstone gabled porch with round pointed arched doorway with moulded surround. Pointed-arched doorway with double hollow-chamfered doorway within C19 plank door. Stone benches to east and west. C19 clerestory with 4 cusped round lights to north and south. Early C15 west tower of 3 stages with chamfered plinth, offset buttresses, chamfered storey bands and hollow moulded eaves cornice decorated with carved heads. Parapetted eaves cornice with heraldic arms carved on merlons and pinnacles to each corner. Restored window to west of 2 cusped lights with mouchette tracery. Hollow-moulded surround. Loop-lights to south wall. Bell chamber openings of 2 cusped lights with transom within 4-centred heads. Interior: chancel windows have C19 rere-arches. Vestry archway of 2 pointed orders, the inner order supported by polygonal moulded corbels. Decorative tile floors. C15 chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders with polygonal moulded capitals supporting the inner order. Nave aisle and clerestory windows have chamfered rere-arches. C19 nave arcade of 4 bays with hexagonal piers with moulded bases and capitals supporting double-chamfered arches. Decorative tile and stone flag floors. Small C14 piscina re-used in south aisle wall with ogee-headed surround and mouchette-tracery panel within. Tower arch of 2 chamfered orders to east and 3 to west. C19 hammer-beam chancel roof with C19 arch-braced collar-truss nave roof. CI9 pews and choir stalls and polygonal wood pulpit. C19 polygonal font on orginal moulded base. In south wall of chancel a marble wall-tablet with scrolled surround and broken pediment with carved arms. Dedicated to 'the pious memory of that vertuous and/religius Gentlewoman Mrs ELLEN/PILKIN6TON (eldest daughter of/Mr. RICHARD OUINEY Citizen and/Grocer of London). Married to EDWARDPILKIN6TON formerly of Stockton'. She died 1689, aged 71. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, pp.227-228; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p

Listing NGR: SP4376663606

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1951), 227-8
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 404-5

National Grid Reference: SP 43766 63606

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 05:34:33.