List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINTS PETER AND PAUL

List entry Number: 1035541

Location

CHURCH OF SAINTS PETER AND PAUL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityButlers Marston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 307240

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUTLERS MARSTON SP3249 10/3 Church of SS. Peter and Paul 13/10/66

GV II*

Church. C12, C14 and C15. Restored 1872. Coursed, squared limestone and ironstone ashlar, with ironstone dressings. Old and new tile roof. Chancel, nave with south aisle and west tower. Chancel of C12 origins is of one bay, with plinth, diagonal buttresses and coped gable. To east a C19 window of 3 trefoiled lights and reticulated tracery. Hood mould with carved label stops. To north a C19 single trefoiled light with ogee head, hood mould and carved label stops. Small outshut attached to right. C19 vestry to south has chimney, plank door with moulded surrounds and a 2-light mullioned window with carved lintel. Nave of 3 bays has plinth, offset buttresses, and coped gabled with restored sanctus bell-cote to east. To north three C19 windows of 2 trefoiled lights and plate tracery. Hood moulds with carved label stops. Late C12 south aisle widened C14. To centre left a C19 door within C14 pointed ovolo moulded arch with hood mould and label stops. C19 gabled vestry. Doorway with pointed, chamfered arch, hood mould and carved label stops. Small light to either side. To left a C15 squareheaded, 2-light mullioned window with restored chamfered surrounds, hood mould and label stops. To right a squareheaded, 4-light mullioned window with hood mould and label stops. Attached to west wall three C19 memorials. C15 tower of 3 stages with plinth, offset diagonal buttresses rising to bell tower stage and a string course to each stage, that to embattled parapet with carved heads and animals. To west a C15 window of 2 trefoiled lights, double chamfered surround and hood mould with carved label stops. To second stage on north and south a single chamfered light. Bell stage has 3 two-light trefoiled windows with transoms, the lights below trefoiled. Stone slate louvres, hood moulds and label stops. Interior: east window of chancel has original C14 inner splays and chamfered arch. C19 vestry doorway and arch. C19 chancel arch and roof. Nave has south arcade of 3 bays with late C12 round piers with flat leaf capitals, square abaci and pointed arches. Responds to east and west have moulded bases. To west, a small squint into the chancel. C15 tower arch with double chamfered surrounds, and a pair of moulded capitals to each side continuing into moulded band on west wall. C17 low pitch roof to nave with chamfered tie beams, purlins and rafters, with stops, carved bosses and C19 angel corbels. C19 roof to south aisle. Stained C19 glass in chancel and north wall. In north of chancel wall a pair of monuments dated 1790 and 1791. Above south arcade a hatchment. Below a wall tablet dated 1684. C15 octagonal font with quatrefoils, and cusped lights around shaft. Polygonal pulpit dated 1632, much restored C19. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.222; V.C.H.: Warwickshire, pp.28-30).

Listing NGR: SP3205849949

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgewood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1981), 222

National Grid Reference: SP 32058 49949

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 09:41:23.