List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BILTON GRANGE SCHOOL AND ATTACHED CHAPEL AND TERRACE

List entry Number: 1034932

Location

BILTON GRANGE SCHOOL AND ATTACHED CHAPEL AND TERRACE, RUGBY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireRugbyDistrict AuthorityDunchurch

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Aug-1984

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Jul-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 308671

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DUNCHURCH RUGBY ROAD SP47SE (East side) 2/30 Bilton Grange School and 02/08/84 attached chapel and terrace (Formerly listed as Bilton Grange School) - II* Country house, now a school. 1841-1846 by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin for Captain J. Washington Hibbert, incorporating a small, probably late C18 house. Considerable late C19 and C20 additions and alterations for the school. Flemish bond brick with limestone dressings and moulded string courses. Tile roofs, some with ridge cresting, have moulded stone coped gable parapets with finials; brick external, internal and ridge stacks with shaped and moulded shafts have limestone dressings. Complex courtyard plan. Tudor Gothic style. 2 storeys and attic. Entrance front is a 4-window range with wing of 1891 and chapel of 1889 at right angles on left and right respectively. 3-storey porte cochere tower has diagonal buttresses and alternating quoins. Wide moulded arches. Entrance has 5-light window with Tudor-arched double-leaf plank doors and carved spandrels. Chamfered and moulded mullioned windows, mainly with Tudor-arched lights, transoms and hood moulds, throughout. First floor has 2-light canted oriel with shield panel. Second floor has stone clock in square panel dated MDCCCXLVI, with frieze and cornice. Flanking small single lights. Pyramidal decorative slate roof has traceried open lantern with pyramid cap. Left range has ground floor 4-light window with large king mullion and lozenge stops. Single lights on right. Right range has external stack with shaft removed. One and 2-light windows. First floor throughout the Pugin building has the initials of Captain Hibbert and his wife and crosses in blue brick. 2-light roof dormer. Plain 3-storey tower set back on right has 3-light window to second floor. Late C20 parapet. Irregular one-window left wing of 1891. One storey, basement and attic. Buttresses. Altered basement openings. Cross windows. First floor has 4-light window. Irregular 3-window right return side has porch with part-glazed double-leaf doors. Right wing has gabled hall range in angle. 2 full-height 2-light windows have 2 transoms and continuous hood mould. Chapel beyond. Shaped tile roof. Nave, apsidal chancel, shallow transepts, and east turret. Gothic Revival style. 3-bay nave, 2-bay chancel. The ritual east end is actually north-east. Apse has 5 lancets with geometrical tracery. 2 bands of terracotta ornament. Moulded limestone sill course throughout. Ornamented stone cornice. Brick and terracotta parapet has blind tracery. Shallow south transept has small east lancet, and 3-light south window with plate tracery and hood mould. Ornamental stone coped gable. Square turret projects slightly. Plank door has double-chamfered straight-headed Tudor arch with sill course farming hood mould. Frieze of 4 traceried stone panels with carved shield reliefs of the Holy Spirit etc. Octagonal upper stage. Alternating long and short traceried straight-headed openings. Moulded stone cap and finial. Nave has gabled portal between 2 gableted buttresses. Heavily moulded stone segmental-pointed arch. Two 3-light windows have tracery and transom. North transept has 3 stepped lancets to east. High one-storey-and-attic, late C19 irregular range to right. Bay with 3-light Perpendicular window and moulded parapet. Cross window and 2 large polygonal bays with single light between. Roof dormer has 2-light mullioned window. South-east front has wing at right angles on right. Main range has four 2-storey 3-light canted bays with castellated parapets. Large gabled dormers have 2-light mullioned windows. Left return side of wing has, to left, a single light and 2-light mullioned window above, and to right a large 4-light window with king mullion and 3-light window above, The range stands on an attached L-plan terrace of diapered brick and stone. Elaborate balustrade with pierced inscription in Gothic script recording the date of building. Piers carved with heraldic shields. Steps on left. Right wing has low link to 1891 addition of canted bay with loggia below. 1891 range has 2 large canted bays of similar design to main front. First floor has Tudor arch sashes. Date in blue brick. Gables with internal stack between. South-west front has cross gable and canted bay on right. Large 6-light window with central plank door in moulded Tudor-arch. 3-light window above. Single lights to left. Large 3-storey late C19 canted bay on left has wood cross windows with stone lintels, 2-light windows above, and 3-light windows to second floor. Pyramidal roof. Two 2-light roof dormers. Lower late C18/early C19 range to left has later alterations. 3 storeys; 3 bays. Central 3-storey canted bay has wooden casements. Large windows in altered openings to left. 16-pane sashes to right. Second floor has four 12-pane sashes. Kitchen wing to north-west has massive external stack with 4 offsets. Outer courtyard has long, late C19 one-storey-and-attic range. Gabled roof. dormers have bargeboards. 2-light latticed windows. Good Pugin interiors. Entrance hall has carved arched fireplace with hood and gilded inscription. Heraldic encaustic tile floor. Long gallery, library and other rooms have panelled plaster ceilings with moulded wood ribs, linenfold panelling and Gothic wood doorcases and architraves. Gallery has gilt and decorated cornice. 2 fine carved and moulded Gothic fireplaces, one with large plastered hood. Moulded stone Tudor-arched doorcases. Heraldic glass. Library has gilded and carved ceiling bosses. Elaborate carved fireplace with wood panelled upper part-has painted panels of St. Hubert and the Hibbert arms and painted panelled cove. Another room has similar fireplace with traceried instead of painted panels. Great Hall has Gothic arched brace roof. Gallery on carved octagonal shafts. Panelling. Inglenook has elaborate carved stone fireplace with half shafts and family crest. Encaustic tiles. Heraldic glass. Several fireplaces have original fire dogs and baskets with dogs holding scrolls. Open well staircase has linenfold panelled balustrade and brass rail, and newel posts with heraldic beasts holding scrolls. Gothic painted panelled ceiling with moulded ribs. Chapel has braced collar roof with arched braces marking chancel and sanctuary. Apse has inner lancets with black granite detached shafts. Radiating rafters. Brick segmental pointed arches to transepts. Chancel and sanctuary have mosaic floors. Fittings: late C19 carved pulpit and reading desk, stalls and pews. Early C20 Perpendicular style memorial panels lining walls. Stained glass: late C19. Captain Hibbert was Pugin's most difficult client. The C20 additions are not of special architectural interest. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.94-95; Phoebe Stanton: Pugin, p.176; Mark Girouard: The Victorian Country House, pp.175-176). _

Listing NGR: SP4923271759

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Girouard, M - Title: The Victorian Country House - Date: 1971 - Page References: 175-176
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Stanton, P - Title: Pugin - Date: 1971 - Page References: 176
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgwood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 94-95

National Grid Reference: SP4923271759

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2014 at 09:03:46.