List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ATTACHED MAUSOLEUM

List entry Number: 1034927

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ATTACHED MAUSOLEUM

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireRugbyDistrict AuthorityWolfhampcote

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Oct-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Jul-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 308762

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOLFHAMPCOTE SP56NW Church of St. Peter and 06/10/60 attached mausoleum (Formerly listed as Church of St. Peter (disused)) GV II* Church and attached mausoleum. C13; north aisle and north chapel late C13. Chancel, south aisle and porch C14. Nave west end rebuilt, clerestory added and upper part of tower altered or rebuilt late C15. Chancel restored c.1848. Chancel of limestone ashlar. Tower, west end and south clerestory of regular coursed sandstone. North clerestory, aisles and porch of squared coursed sandstone rubble. Chancel and porch have old tile roof; other roofs not visible. Coped gable parapets. Aisled nave, chancel, north chapel, north-west tower and south porch. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Chancel has C18/C19 sandstone diagonal buttresses, each with 2 cinqfoiled gablets. C19 five-light Perpendicular east window with hood mould. C19 cross finial. C19 south doorway has chamfered 4-centred surround and ribbed door. Renewed 2-light and 3-light straight-headed Decorated windows have tracery of limestone and sandstone, and hood moulds. South aisle has south-east diagonal buttress of 2 offsets, and south and south-west buttresses. Porch has doorway of 2 moulded orders with hood mould and ribbed double-leaf doors. Blocked east and west lancets. East and 2 south windows have reticulated tracery. 2-bay clerestory has straight-headed 2-light Decorated windows to north and south, some with hood moulds. Moulded and coped parapet. North aisle and chapel in one. 4 bays. Splayed plinth. North-east diagonal buttress of 4 offsets, and 2 north buttresses of 2 offsets. 3-light C19 east window has geometrical tracery. 3-light north windows, probably altered C17, have part-moulded arches with mullions but no tracery. Nave has west buttress of 3 offsets. 4-light Perpendicular west window has remains of head stops. Tower of 2 stages. Diagonal buttress of 6 offsets. West lancet has hood mould. Bricked-up lancet slits to west and north. Moulded string course continued round nave gable parapet. Upper stage has paired lancet openings with continuous hood moulds, bricked up but with vents. Embattled parapet. Interior is plastered. Chancel has 2-bay arcade to north chapel of 2 chamfered orders with hood mould, octagonal pier and semi-circular imposts with moulded capitals. 4-bay crown post roof, possibly C14, has wavy struts and braces and wind braces, and chamfered tie beams. Octagonal piers and half-octagonal responds throughout. Chancel arch of 2 orders, the outer continuous, the inner on moulded imposts and head corbels. Nave has 2-bay north arcade similar to chancel, but with continuous outer order. Part of a third arch to the west, interrupted by the tower. C14 three-bay south arcade of 2 chamfered orders with moulded bases and capitals. Late C15 Perpendicular roof has wall posts and stone corbels. North chapel has ogee piscina. Aisle has C13 tower arch with simple chamfered imposts. South aisle has simple piscina. Aisle and chapel have lean-to roofs. Fittings: plain tub font, possibly C13. C14 oak chapel screen has shafts with shaft rings and intersecting round arches with Decorated tracery. Late C17 altar rails have barley sugar twist balusters and fielded newel posts with moulded caps. Hexagonal pulpit of 1790 has moulded plinth and cornice with so,ae inlay. Some C14 benches. Painted Royal arms of 1702 above chancel arch. Early C19 framed and painted panels in north chapel, some with pious verses, others with inscriptions to the Clarke family between 1601 and 1801. Monuments: chancel has early C19 wall monuments to the Tibbits family. Mausoleum of the Tibbits family attached to east end of chancel. Late C18/early C19. Sandstone ashlar. Gothick style. Diagonal buttresses with cinqfoiled gablets continued up as finials. East wall has blind quatrefoil. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.6, pp.271-273; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.476).

Listing NGR: SP5297165312

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Warwick - Date: 1951 - Volume: 6 - Page References: 271-3
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgwood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 476

National Grid Reference: SP 52971 65312

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 08:23:59.