List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1034911

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireRugbyDistrict AuthorityGrandborough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Oct-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 308721

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GRANDBOROUGH CHURCH ROAD SP46NE (East side) 6/77 Church of St. Peter 06/10/60 GV II* Church. Mid C14; tower late C14. Tower restored 1848. Church restored 1862; clerestory added 1863. Nave roof restored 1879. Squared coursed red sandstone. Tower of limestone ashlar. Tile roofs, chancel of C20 tile; nave and aisle lean-to roofs have coped gable parapets with kneelers. Chancel, aisled nave, north chancel aisle, west tower. Decorated style with reticulated and other tracery, mostly with hood moulds. 3-bay chancel, 2-bay chancel aisle. 4-bay nave and aisles. Chancel has diagonal and 2 south buttresses of 2 offsets. 4-light east window has intersecting tracery. Tomb recess below has re-used C12/C13 moulded Romanesque arch and upper parts of shafts and colonnettes, and remains of gable. South doorway of 2 chamfered and moulded orders with C19 plank door. 3-light western window with blocked low-side window below, and 2-light windows. North window has Y-tracery. Aisles have diagonal and other buttresses of one offset. 3-light east windows. North and south doorways of 4 moulded orders and hood moulds with foliage stops. C19 double-leaf doors to south, old plank door to north. 2-light eastern and south aisle west windows have curvilinear tracery. Western windows have Y-tracery. North aisle has straight-headed 2-light north and west windows with hood moulds and head stops. Clerestory has trefoil lights. Perpendicular tower of 3 stages. Double splayed plinth. Diagonal buttresses of 5 offsets. Moulded string courses. West doorway of 2 chamfered orders. C19 double-leaf doors. Second stage has deep-set 3-light window with splayed sill merging with string course. Third stage has clock in moulded stone surround. Paired 2-light bell openings have transom with blind tracery below. Continuous hood mould. Cornice and moulded embattled parapet. Fine recessed spire. North and south sides have chamfered straight-headed light instead of clock face. South side has canted stair projection in 2 staggered sections, the upper rising from south aisle roof. Interior is plastered. Chancel roof has mediaeval elements, with moulded tie beams and carved bosses, cusped arched braces and curved scissor braced rafters. Trefoiled ogee piscina. 2-bay north arcade has octagonal pier and responds to upper part only. C19 lancet opening to west. Arches of 2 chamfered orders with octagonal piers and half-octagonal responds throughout. Chancel arch has responds to inner order only. 4-bay arcades have splayed bases and moulded capitals. C19 moulded arched brace roof. Higher tower arch has responds to inner order only. Timber rib vault. South aisle has fragments of piscina. Aisle roofs, mostly C19, have moulded beams and rib. Wide chancel aisle arch. Fittings: elaborate mid C19 stone reredos with texts. C18 altar rails have column-on-vase balusters and fluted newel posts. Pulpit said to be C17 (V.C.H.) has traceried openwork. Brass corona of c.1862. Mid C19 stalls and pews. Mid C19 octagonal font has moulded base and top with traceried frieze. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol. VI, pp.97-99; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.296; Kelly's Directory of Warwickshire, 1892, p.101).

Listing NGR: SP4924266996

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Warwickshire - Date: 1892 - Journal Title: Kellys Directory - Page References: 101 - Type:
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Warwick - Date: 1951 - Volume: 6 - Page References: 97-99
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgwood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 296

National Grid Reference: SP 49242 66996

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Aug-2014 at 11:14:54.