List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1034860

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireRugbyDistrict AuthorityWithybrook

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Oct-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 308898

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WITHYBROOK SP48SW 7/32 Church of All Saints 06/10/60 - II*

Church. Rebuilt C14. Late C15 tower, clerestory and chapel. Also in late C15 chancel partly rebuilt and aisles widened. Restored 1821 and 1890. Regular coursed grey sandstone. Roofs of lead to aisles, artificial slate to nave, plain-tiles to chancel and porch. Coped gable parapets throughout, except porch. Aisled nave, chancel, north chapel, north-west tower, south porch. Perpendicular style. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Chancel has splay plinth. South-east diagonal buttress. Buttresses are mostly of 2 offsets throughout. Large renewed 5-light east window has moulded stops. Hood moulds throughout. Gable has remains of small carved head. Gable parapet has weatherings and cross finial. South buttress. Small chamfered doorway has hood mould and C19 plank door. Double-chamfered eastern window has C19 tracery of 3 lancets and piercings. 3-light western window has moulded stops. South porch of one storey and attic. Moulded and chamfered doorway has renewed jambs. Double-chamfered square opening above. Straight-headed east and west windows of 2 ogee lights. Moulded segmental pointed doorway inside. Ancient door has blind tracery panels and some carving. Aisle has splay and hollow-chamfered plinth. Slender east and west buttresses of 3 offsets rise into trefoiled gableted pinnacles. 3-light east window. Basket-arched 3-light south-east window. 2-light south-west window has head stops. Nave has south-west diagonal buttress. 3-bay south, and 2-bay north, clerestory has windows similar to porch. Hollow-chamfered cornice, Large 3-light west window has renewed curvilinear tracery. C19 square stack with octagonal shaft in north-east corner. North aisle and chapel in one. Splay plinth and diagonal buttress of 2 offsets. 3-light east window has deep splayed jambs. North side has 4 buttresses. Eastern bay has no window. Three 3-light windows. Short north-west tower has hollow-chamfered plinth. North-west diagonal buttress of 3 offsets. South-west buttress merges with stair projection. West doorway of 2 chamfered orders has C19 plank door with decorative ironwork. Splayed course above. 2-light west window above. Door and window have hood mould with return stops. Bell openings of paired trefoiled lancets to each side, recessed under straight head to north, east and south. Moulded cornice and parapet. Interior has arches and arcades throughout of 2 chamfered orders with octagonal piers or half-octagonal responds and moulded capitals, and continuous outer order. Chancel has remains of C15 Easter sepulchre in north wall, discovered in 1848. Damaged moulded Perpendicular arch and base with blind arcading. Recess has remains of 3 carved figures, including a central angel, and traces of stencilled decoration. C19 boarded barrel chancel roof. Chancel arch has lower half of north respond missing; upper part has trefoiled lancet recess. Nave has renewed Perpendicular roof, but retaining old moulded east and west tie-beans. 2-bay north and 3-bay south arcades. South arcade has heads between each arch; western pier has band of rosettes and fleurons. North chapel, now vestry, has moulded half-octagonal corbel brackets in eastern angles, with remains of canopy to north. Chapel and aisle have lean-to roof with some old timbers. Chamfered tower doorway has studded plank door. South-west wall of tower has stone inscribed "CRISTOFER WATKIN PHILIP HARTLEY CHURCH WARDENS AND DOM 1632". South aisle has trefoiled ogee piscina. Renewed lean-to roof. Fittings: font, possibly late C12, has round basin, moulded foot and square base. Late C17 altar rails with C19 turned balusters. C18 half-hexagonal wood pulpit has fielded panels with shaped tops. C18 chest. C19 encaustic tiles; pews and stalls. Chapel screen made up of panels, possibly from box pews. Stained glass: C15 fragments in south aisle east window. Monuments: north chapel: Sir Christopher Wright, 1602. Chest tomb has 2 inscription panels with festoons and incised slab, and armorial back panel. Chancel south wall: Thomas Arnold, 1781. Oval plaque with architectural surround. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, pp.267-268; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.475; J.A. Cossins: Excursion to Monks Kirby, Withybrook etc., in Transactions of Birmingham Archaeological Society, 1914, Vol.40, pp.46-49 National Monuments Record).

Listing NGR: SP4369584136

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Warwick - Date: 1951 - Volume: 6 - Page References: 267 268
  2. Article  Reference - Author: Cossins, J A - Title: Excursions of the Year 1914 - Date: 1914 - Journal Title: Transactions of the Birmingham Archaeological Society - Volume: 40 - Page References: 46 49
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgwood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 475

National Grid Reference: SP 43695 84136

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Sep-2014 at 03:21:04.