List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WEST WALL OF FORMER INFIRMARY, APPROXIMATELY 150 METRES SOUTH OF PRIORY FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1034822

Location

WEST WALL OF FORMER INFIRMARY, APPROXIMATELY 150 METRES SOUTH OF PRIORY FARMHOUSE, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireNorth WarwickshireDistrict AuthorityMaxstoke

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Sep-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Mar-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 309015

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MAXSTOKE CHURCH ROAD SP2386 (South side) 17/110 West wall of former infirmary, 08/09/61 approx. 150m S of Priory Farmhouse (Formerly listed as Remains of Tower and walls of monastic church) GV II* West wall of former infirmary. Early C14. Coursed and squared sandstone. Gable roof was continued over aisles. 2 storeys. First floor with window of 2 lights in 2-centred arch with fragments of reticulated tracery. At ground floor a doorway in 2-centred chamfered arch and a smaller doorway in an arch of 3 straight sides. Originally part of the infirmary, north-east of the priory church, to the priory of Augustinian Canons founded in 1336 by William de Clinton, Earl of Huntingdon and consecrated in 1342. Scheduled ancient monument. (VCH: Warwickshire, Vol IV; Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p349)

Listing NGR: SP2348086776

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947)
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 349

National Grid Reference: SP 23480 86776

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2014 at 01:45:56.