List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PACKINGTON OLD HALL WITH WALLS ADJOINING ON EAST AND WEST SIDES, COURTYARD WALL ADJOINING AT REAR, AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS

List entry Number: 1034811

Location

PACKINGTON OLD HALL WITH WALLS ADJOINING ON EAST AND WEST SIDES, COURTYARD WALL ADJOINING AT REAR, AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireNorth WarwickshireDistrict AuthorityGreat Packington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Mar-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 308985

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT PACKINGTON PACKINGTON PARK SP28SW 8/80 Packington Old Hall with walls 11/11/52 adjoining on E and W sides, courtyard wall adjoining at rear,and attached outbuildings (Formerly listed under Packington Old Hall with courtyard wall, pigeonhouse and venison house) GV II* House. 1679, possibly incorporating part of C16 timber-framed house. c.1700 alterations to the front elevation. Red brick, Flemish bond on sandstone plinth. Roofs of 2 parallel and adjoining gabled ranges; plain-tiled. Ridge stack having pilaster strips to the sides, and side and end stacks. Lobby-entry plan. 2 storeys and attic. Principal front to the south west in 5 bays framed by rusticated quoins of brick and having moulded stone eaves cornice. 2 large c.1700 dormers of red brick with stone dressings to the pediments. They flank the off-centre porch of 3 storeys. The third storey of the porch is also of c.1700 and has a segmental pediment of sandstone and Ionic pilasters at the corners. The ground and first stages of the porch have rusticated quoins. 4 steps lead up to doorway in flat arch with raised keyblock. Pedimented doorcase with recessed panels to flanking pilasters. Door of 2 bolection moulded panels. Fenestration of cross-frame casements with later glazing. Splayed and cyma moulded transoms and mullions under flat gauged brick arches. End and rear walls have openings in elliptical arches and original rainwater heads, dated, and downpipes. The rear wall has 4 gables. Adjoining on the north, late C17 courtyard walls and stables, now outbuildings. Red brick, and plain-tiled. North-east and south-west walls adjoining the front of the house are of red brick with some burnt brick headers on sandstone base, with shaped stone coping. The walls are ramped at the ends where they meet the house and the piers have ball finials of stone, restored. The walls are pierced by oval stone peep-holes. Interior: Open-well and closed-string staircase with symmetrical twisted balusters and square newels with shaped rail. Painted on the wall opposite is a dado of similar balusters, rail and newel. Some framing possibly from the C16 visible internally. One ground floor room has ceiling with intersecting ceiling beams with plaster bolection moulded panels to the soffits. There is a fireplace of grey stone, abutting the inglenook to a former kitchen on the north-east. Another ground floor room has an early C18 corner fireplace with shouldered stone surround and plaster cornice with egg and dart and modillion mouldings. At first floor the principal chamber has a garland frieze of 1680 and the room over the porch a wreath tied with a big ribbon. Built for Sir Clement Fisher 1679-80. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p298; VCH: Warwickshire, Vol IV; Marcus Binney: Country Life, CXLVIII: p102, 266)

Listing NGR: SP2308484616

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Country Life - Journal Title: Country Life - Volume: 148 - Page References: 102,266
  2. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 42 Warwickshire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Warwick - Date: 1947 - Volume: 4
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgwood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 298

National Grid Reference: SP 23084 84616

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2014 at 02:03:30.