List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HOAR HALL

List entry Number: 1034798

Location

HOAR HALL, SANDY LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireNorth WarwickshireDistrict AuthorityOver Whitacre

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Mar-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 309056

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OVER WHITACRE SANDY LANE SP29SE (East side) 3/151 Hoar Hall GV II* House. 1732 with earlier origins. Red brick, Flemish bond. Hipped roof of plain-tiles with coved wood eaves cornice. Symmetrically disposed red brick internal stacks. Double-pile plan. Cellar, 2 storeys and attic. 3 hipped dormers. Symmetrical 5-bay facade of C19 12-pane, recessed hung sashes under rubbed and gauged brick arches with stone sills, painted. 2 windows are now blind. Central doorway approached by 3 sandstone steps, segmental in plan. Plain pilaster doorcase of wood with narrow hood. Double doors of 4 panels and rectangular fanlight with glazing bars radiating from small central light having reset coat of arms of E. Weston. Similar ground floor fenestration includes 2 blind windows. South-west side wall of 4 window bays. A cellar light has a sandstone surround. 4 of the windows in this elevation have cross-frame casements, some of which are C18. Rear wall openings in elliptical header brick arches. The north wall has a down waterpipe with original rain water head dated 1732. Interior: Raised and fielded and bolection moulded panelling to one ground floor room. Corner cupboard with half-round head, shaped shelves and panelled door. Open-well staircase with curved and cantilevered landing. Open-string with column-on-vase balusters, turned newels and toads-back rail, ramped. Cellar lined with squared and coursed sandstone. 2 original fireplaces at first floor and a plaster cheese floor to one attic room. The house was acquired by a member of the Weston family in 1692 and was occupied by a member of the family until 1892. In c.1732 the house was rebuilt by E. Weston, whose coat of arms appears in the central bars of the fanlight above the front door. (A. Varnam: MSS)

Listing NGR: SP2595591954

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 25955 91954

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 12:14:50.