List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HARTSHILL GRANGE

List entry Number: 1034749

Location

HARTSHILL GRANGE, GRANGE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireNorth WarwickshireDistrict AuthorityHartshill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Nov-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 309191

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HARTSHILL GRANGE ROAD SP39SW (South-east side) 5/98 Hartshill Grange 25/11/69 GV II* House. Early C16 with later C16 rear wing and C17 additions; alterations dated 1712; small projecting wing probably added early C18; later alterations. Timber framed, mostly of close studding with rendered infill; some rebuilding in rendered brick. Old plain-tile roofs. Large external, internal and other brick stacks. Complex plan of 3 parallel ranges. 2 storeys and attic; 3-window range. Jettied porch of one storey and attic has shaped brackets. Late C20 plank door, but encasing the original door. First floor has tension braces and 3-light casement. C17 addition to right, flush with porch, has exposed small framing. Rendered gabled first floor has 2-light casement under segmental arch. Main range has large full-width wood mullioned window, probably C20, with central transom. 4-light casement above. Small rendered projecting wing attached to left corner has string course and narrow external stack; right return side has fragments of timber framing. Left return side of the house has twin gable ranges on left. Left range is rendered; C20 glazed door. Adjoining range has cellar door. Very large external stack to right has sandstone plinth, quoins and offsets, and brick dog-tooth cornice and shaft. Left return side has a fire window. Small gabled wing to right has canted bay with C20 casement to ground floor. Irregular fenestration throughout. Right return side of the house has exposed corner post and 3-light casement. Rendered 2-bay range of 2 storeys and attic has twin gables with brick-coped gable parapets and parapets between and to left and right. Internal stack of diagonally-set square shafts with cornices between the gables. Painted rainwater head has inscription NNS 1712 in relief. Ground floor has large windows, probably C20, with central transom, of 4 lights to left and 6 lights to right; upper floors have 3-light casements. Jettied 2-storey range on right is of small framing. Casements of 3 lights to ground floor, and 2 lights above. Interior: porch opens into full-width hall, with a floor possibly inserted later. Wide open fireplace has chamfered stone jambs and large bressumer. Ogee-stop-chamfered ceiling beam. Room beyond it has chamfered stone shallow Tudor-arched fireplace with moulded spandrels, and C16/C17 panelling. Room to rear has partly moulded ceiling beam. C16/C17 dog-leg staircase. Upper floors have some exposed posts and framing, and chamfered beams. Wide floor boards. Queen strut through-purlin roofs. Some C16/C17 eight-panelled doors throughout the house. The house is built on land which once belonged to Merevale Abbey, and was granted to Sir William Devereux in 1540. It was later the property of the Earl of Essex. The Quaker philanthropist Nathaniel Newton lived at Hartshill Grange in the late C17 and early C18; and George Fox visited the house. It was also the home of the Quaker Benjamin Bartlett, author of The History and antiquities of the Parish of Manceter', 1791. (Douglas Hickman: Warwickshire, A Shell Guide, p109; Benianin Bartlett, 'Mandnessedum Romanorum, or The History and Antiquities of the Parish of Manceter')

Listing NGR: SP3299894731

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bartlett, B, Mandnessedum Romanorum or The History and Antiquities of Manceter, (1791)
Hickman, D, 'Shell Guide' in Warwickshire, (), 109

National Grid Reference: SP 32998 94731

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 09:37:08.