List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1034716

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireNorth WarwickshireDistrict AuthorityGrendon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 309266

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GRENDON SK20SE 5/32 Church of All Saints

25/03/68

- ll

Church. C12 origins, Chancel rebuilt early C13; clerestory added Lib, North aisle and arcade mid C13; early C14 south aisle and arcade, Nave clerestory has C15 north and Cl6/C17 south windows, South porch is dated 1820, Tower added by R.C, Hussey 1845. Sandstone, mostly regular coursed but with ashlar tower. chancel has lower parts of rubble, Low-pitched lead roofs are largely hidden by parapets with moulded cornices and copings, Aisled nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. 3-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Chancel has but-tresses of 2 offsets. 3-light east window has late C19 geometrical tracery. North side has 2 buttresses. 2 chamfered C13 lancers have moulded sill course and string course above. Large round-arched 3-light western window has Perpendicular tracery. 2-bay clerestory has double-chamfered 2-light mullioned windows. South side has buttress with scratched sun dial. Moulded doorway has hood mould with head stops and C19 plank door. Blocked central lancet, and fragments of eastern lancet. Blocked large straight-headed eastern window has small buttress below, 3-light western window has largely renewed reticulated tracery. Blocked central clerestory window. Nave clerestory has straight-headed windows of 2 ogee lights. Decorated style south aisle. Porch is rendered. Slate roof has concave stone-coped gable parapet with datestone. C20 double-leaf doors in plain arch, Return sides have 3 blind lancets. Inside is a C14 doorway of 2 continuous moulded orders, the outer with ball mouldings; Cl9 door. Aisle has moulded plinth. Angle and 2 south buttresses of 2 offsets, mostly with trefoiled gablets to first stage. Splay sill course. Tracery is largely renewed throughout. 4-light east window has cusped intersecting tracery with hood mould, head stops and fleuron . 2-light south windows have reticulated tracery. Cornice has ball flower frieze. Large west window bias had its tracery removed, probably tiff, North aisle has 4 buttresses, of 2 offsets to east and west. 3-light east window has reticulated tracery, Moulded C13 north-west doorway has hood mould and plank door, C19 straight-headed north windows of 2 ogee lights. Rendered straight-headed 2-light Perpendicular west window. Tower is Gothic Revival Perpendicular style, but still in the Georgian pre-archaeological tradition with inaccurate details, 3 stages with moulded string courses, splay and moulded plinth and moulded sill course. Full-height angle buttresses have gablets to offsets, Moulded low west and south doorways have hood moulds with lion masks and studded panelled doors. North side has 3-light straight-headed window. 2-light windows on each side have hood moulds with head stops. Band of 2 widely-spaced mouldings between stages, Low second stage has narrow lancet to each side. High third stage has 2-light openings with hood moulds and louvres to bell chamber. Blank moulded circles above, with clock face to south. Deeply coved cornice has crow-stepped embattled parapet above, arid octagonal pinnacles with moulded cornices and finials. Interior is almost wholly plastered. Chancel, nave and south aisle have very shallow pitched, almost flat, plaster roofs with moulded ribs and foliage bosses, probably of c.1845. Chancel has mid//late Cl9 stone south arch to Chetwynd chapel of 2 moulded orders on Early English style caloni+ettes with foliage cDrbels and outer segmental pointed arch; the east jamb has a squint with detached shalt+ Early C14 chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders, the outer continuous, the inner with responds and moulded capitals. Nave has aid OS north arcade of 2 chamfered orders with octagonal piers and east respond, and moulded bases and capitals with nailhead ornament. Taller arid wider Decorated style south arcade of 2 sunk quadrant orders, quatrefoil piers with fillets, and moulded capitals North aisle has lean-to roof. Fittings: Commandment boards have panelled surrounds, possibly CI8, with Ionic capitals and flaming urns. Late C17 altar rails have twisted balusters, a carved frieze and terminal figures. Early/mid C17 pulpit with elaborate arcaded and carved decoration. Simple C15 octagonal font. C18 marble font with oval basin. Nave west pew, said to have been the Mayor's Pew, trod the Church of St. Mary, Stafford, is inscribed RICHARO DRAKEFORO STEPHEN WINKLE CHURCHWARDENS ANNO DOMINI 1618. Carved and ornamented 3-BAY arcade with openwork volutes and Ionic pilasters, and plain and carved panels. South side has scrolled half-door. it is enclosed within Cl9/C20 Tudor-arched frame supporting the organ, with piece of C18 Rococo panelling, possibly re-used from the reredos. 5-bay screen of c.1680 c. 1650 to the south chapel of the Chetwynd family has moulded and ornamented arches with panelled Corinthian piers and winged head spandrels and above, 2 trumpeting angels, a large cartouche of arms and flaming urns. C19 stalls. Stained glass: east window 186l; Chetwynd chapel east window has heraldic glass, probably early Cl9 but with earlier fragments. Monuments: mid C15 alabaster effigy of a lady and incised effigy slab of Margaret Chetwynd 1539 in chancel. A large collection of good quality monuments and many hatchments to the Chetwynd family include in the chapel a large tablet with balusters, shields and painted decoration, and inscriptions to John 1593, and Margaret Wall monuments with cartouches, panels and varying ornament, and inscriptions to Walter 1673, Frances l673, and William 1676, in chancel and chapel. Life-size statue of a mourning woman and an urn, signed Robert Taylor, in a chancel recess has inscription to Mary 1750. Architectural tablets include those in Frances 1686, Sir George 1850 but in C17 style, Nicholas Penny 1707 and Nicholas and Francis Penny, late C18 (Buildings of England: Warwickshire: pp300.301; VCH Warwickshire: Vol IV, pp78-80).

Listing NGR: SK2872000918

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Warwick - Date: 1947 - Volume: 4 - Page References: 78-80
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgwood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 300-301

National Grid Reference: SK 28720 00918

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2014 at 02:52:02.