List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT PETER AND SAINT PAUL

List entry Number: 1034683

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT PETER AND SAINT PAUL, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireNorth WarwickshireDistrict AuthorityKingsbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Jul-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 309289

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KINGSBURY CHURCH LANE SP29NW (North side) -- -'----'- -------Church of Saints PeL

8/53 Church of Saints Peter and 22/07/53 Paul

GV ll



Church. C12 origins, remodelled c.l300. Late C14 north vestry. Early C15 south doorway and pant, Aisles and chapel raised early C16. Top stage of tower added and west wall rebuilt 1610; restored 1928, Restoration l882-1887. Porch restored 1938, Sandstone, mostly regular coursed, with splay plinths. Old plain-tile roofs have coped gable parapets. Nave has east gable raised in C19 brick with stone coping. Aislad nave, chancel, north vestry arid transept chapel, south porch, west tower. 3-bay chancel, nave of 2 very wide bays. Chancel has splay plinth. North-east and south angle buttresses of 2 offsets. Large 3-light east window has cusped intersecting tracery, and remains of hood mould. Hood moulds with head stops throughout. Gable has C19 cross finial. Blocked late C17 straight-headed south doorway. Late C14 eastern and western 3-light windows have Perpendicular tracery; C19 central 2-light window. All have splayed jambs. Mid/late C18 monument between and below eastern and central windows has pediment with winged heads, ornamented entablature and panelled surround, Lean-to vestry has east wall flush with chancel. Brick depressed ogee-arched doorway has plank door and large cross-glazed overlight. Blocked remains of small ogee north lancet. 3-bay aisles have splay plinths, small C14 diagonal buttresses of 2 offsets, and embattled parapets with moulded cornices. 3-light east window has renewed cusped intersecting tracery with old hood mould and head stops. Porch, possibly originally wholly timber-frame, has moulded jambs and cambered tie beam, and close-studded gable with glazed infill. Late C20 glazed double doors Interior has queen strut roof with cusped wind braces. Round-arched doorway of 2 moulded orders with hood mould has wood tympanum with blind tracery and blind lancet-panelled double doors of c.1821. South aisle has 3-light east window with renewed cusped intersecting tracery. 2-light eastern window has uncusped Perpendicular tracery. Central western and west windows have Y-tracery. North aisle has C19 buttress. Bricked-up chamfered doorway. 2-light double-chamfered mullioned windows. Above are two 3-light windows. Eastern window is arched, with mullions. Straight-headed western window. Both have arched lights. North chapel has angle buttresses of 2 off sets. Coved cornice with mask frieze and parapet, 3-light east and similar north windows have simple cusped intersecting tracery. Very shallow-pitched north gable has another much narrower and steeper rendered C17 gable on top. Moulded west doorway has C19 stud door. 2-light window in angle. Tower of 3 stages with splay courses and high moulded and splayed plinth, Full-height west diagonal buttresses of 7 offsets. First stage has small 2-light west window. Stone above is inscribed 'THIS TOWER RESTORED 1928'. Second stage has a small quatrefoil window, and high up, a window of 2 small basket-arched lights. Bell chamber has 2-light Perpendicular openings, partly renewed, with Y-tracery and louvres. Moulded cornice and embattled parapet has crocketed pinnacles with weathervanes. North side has central buttress, and a plain corbel. Large stair projection in south-west angle. Third stage has painted clock face to south. Interior has plastered nave and aisles. Chancel has piscina and 3 sedilia of c.1300 with trefoiled arches, hood moulds and head stops. Blocked north and straight-headed south doorways. North arch of 2 chamfered orders has responds with fillets and moulded capitals. C19 two-bay king post roof has celled upper part. Chancel arch, dated 1887, of 2 chamfered orders without responds, Nave has moulded cornice and plaster ceiling. Arcades of 2 very wide bays have C12 round piers with scalloped capitals, decorated to north, and square responds, but with arches of 2 chamfered orders of c.1300. Tower arch of 2 outer continuous chamfered orders, and inner orier with responds and moulded capitals. Aisles have very shallow-pitched roofs, possibly C16, with moulded beams and carved bosses. Arch from north aisle to chapel of 2 chamfered orders; inner order has carved corbel with a green an to the north. and a man with a monkey to the south, Chapel has niche in east wall with trefoiled arch and blind trefoil-panelled surround. East piscina has trefoiled arch. Ceiled queen strut roof, possibly C16. Fittings: octagonal font has plain bowl and stem with blind trefoiled arches and trefoil spandrels. Late C19 Early English style pulpit. Stalls and pews have C18 panels. Stained glass: east window 188S. Monuments: chancel east wall: Elizabeth Cope 1716. Panel with volute surround segmental pediment with cartouche, and gadrooned apron. Nave west wall: James Luttrell 1788. Drapery panel with winged head in arched surround with broken pediment and urn, and volutes; above is a relief medallion of a woman and anchor, suspended from drapery. South aisle; Simon Luttrell, Earl Carhampton. Signed E. Grubb 1788. Large double panel with volutes and central console, and above a cherub with urn etc. and an achievement of arms against an obelisk, (Buildings of England: Warwickshire p327 VCH; Warwickshire: Vol IV, pp109-l10)

Listing NGR: SP2147696265

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947), 109-10
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 327

National Grid Reference: SP 21476 96265

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 04:28:06.