List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CHAD

List entry Number: 1034654

Location

CHURCH OF ST CHAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireNorth WarwickshireDistrict AuthorityWishaw

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Sep-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 309427

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WISHAW SP19SE 4/113 Church of St. Chad 08/09/61 - II* Church. C13 in origin with C14 and C15 alterations and additions and a major addition of circa 1700; restored 1886-7. Dressed sandstone blocks; plain tile roof with stone coped verges. West tower, 3-bay nave with side aisles and 2-bay chancel with south vestry. West tower: circa 1700. Gothic Revival style. 4 stages with third stage moulded off-set string, parapet string and crenellated parapet with continuous moulded coping around the merlons and embrasures. West door with raised keystone and bolection moulded surround containing a fanlight with radiating glazing bars. Large pointed window above with similar mouldings and glass within a network of lead cames. Above that, and to both north and south face of the first stage is a circular window, and at belfry level paired pointed windows, all with similar mouldings. Nave and aisles: the north aisle is C15 and has a square-headed window in the centre of the north side containing 2 trefoil-headed lights beneath a 4-centred arch with sunken spandrels. To the right of this is a blocked pointed doorway. The east window is pointed and contains 3 lights which reflect a graded lancet arrangement: the central light rises to the soffit of the arch whereas the others are lower and have Perpendicular tracery over. Mid-C14 south aisle with some C19 renewal of the stonewark. 2-light south window with truncated reticulations beneath a square head. Pointed east window of 3 trefoil-headed lights and reticulated tracery incorporating Perpendicular elements. Late C15 clerestory of paired trefoil headed lights beneath semi-circular heads. In the east gable of the nave the former roofline can be discerned. Chancel: early C14. Pointed east window of 3 lights with reticulated tracery and keel-moulded hood with stops carved as human heads. In the west bay of both north and south sides is a single-light window with trefoiled ogee head cut out of a single stone. C19 vestry aligned north-south with 3 trefoil-headed lights to the south gable and a lateral stack. Interior: the C13 north arcade was remodelled in the C15: pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders, the outer with broach stops. The westernmost of the 2 columns is C13 and cylindrical, the other is C15 and octagonal as are the 2 responds, each column and respond has an appropriate moulded capital. Mid-C14 south arcade with octagonal columns, moulded capitals and pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders. Tall pointed tower arch of circa 1700 with outer hollow segment moulded order and inner semi-cylindrical order, both interrupted by moulded imposts. The arch is fitted by a C19 wooden screen with pointed windows at second stage level. Acutely pointed early C14 chancel arch of 2 continuous chamfered orders. The chancel windows have segmental pointed rere-arches and there is a cupboard in the north wall with a pointed arch. Squint between south aisle and chancel allowing the occupants of the former a view of the altar. Fittings: C18 baluster font with gadrooned basin. C19 font, octagonal on cylindrical pedestal with waterholding base. C19 Gothic pulpit, removed from St. Mark's Church, Ladywood which was demolished in 1947. Monuments: south aisle: Andrew Hacket, died 1709; cartouche surmounted by an heraldic shield. John Lisle, died 1673; large aedicular wall monument with Ionic columns on brackets and scrolled pediment with central urn. Lisle Hacket, Bishop of Lichfield, died 1728; central panel with side scrolls, and brackets beneath flanking a pair of heraldic shields; broken pediment containing an achievement of arms, and behind it an obelisk; the 2 corners are each surmounted by an urn spouting flame. Mary Lisle, died 1676; draped cloth surmounted by an heraldic shield garlanded with flowers. North aisle: Thomas Lander, died 1809; oval tablet surmounted by an urn. Howard Procter Ryland, died 1905; aedicule with fluted corinthian columns and semi-circular pediment containing an achievement of arms. John Hacker, died 1718; tablet with scrolled sides, broken segmental pediment with achievement of arms within. Lady Hacker, died 1716; acdicule with fluted Corinthian columns and semi-circular pediment with achievement of arms in front of it. Nave: First World War memorial; tablet with images of St. George and St. Chad within niches. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p475; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol IV (1965), pp260-1)

Listing NGR: SP1767794570

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947), 260 261
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 475

National Grid Reference: SP 17677 94570

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 09:10:37.