List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BLASIUS

List entry Number: 1034290

Location

CHURCH OF ST BLASIUS, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Isle of WightUnitary AuthorityShanklin

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Mar-1949

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 310223

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHANKLIN SZ58SE CHURCH ROAD 1352-0/4/182 Church of St Blasius 14/03/49 GV II*

Parish Church formerly the manor chapel to Shanklin Manor. C13 extensively altered and with addition of North transept in 1853 and north-east porch, south transept, south aisle and vestry in 1859. Built of stone rubble with tiled roof and central shingled octagonal spire. Roughly cruciform in shape. Nave, north aisle, north and south transepts and north-east porch and south-west vestry. 2 bay nave has blocked splayed trefoliated lancets. Chancel of 1 bay with original trefoliated lancet on each side. South transept has original trefoliated lancets. North transept has 2 renewed trefoliated lancets to east and original trefoliated lancet to south. North gable has cinquefoil-headed lights. North aisle has 1 original double cinquefoil-headed light with hood moulding and adjoining C19 copy of this. Attached to the west of this is a C19 vestry of stone rubble with 2 trefoliated lights and 2-centred arched doorway. Central octagonal shingled spire with open bell stage and iron cross finial. Interior has throughout C19 boarded wooden roof with strengthening iron ties to chancel and south transept. Nave has Early English pointed arch to north aisle and smaller arch by its side. Royal coat of arms. C19 splayed organ gallery. North aisle has C13 stone font, with trefoliated ornament and a fine carved wooden chest of 1512, once the property of Thomas Silkstead, Prior of Winchester. North wall has tablet to Vice-Admiral Henry Hill, with appropriate anchor and rope decoration. Chancel has pulpit incorporating 4 Apostles and the Virgin, small panels of c1520-30, probably Flemish and lectern also with C16 fragments. Trefoil-headed piscina with shelf and trefoil-headed sedilia. Marble wall tablet to Sarah Shapleigh Popham d 1808, relief of child rising to Heaven in prayer. Also 4 basalt floor slabs to members of the Popham family of Shanklin Manor. Visitors have included David Garrick, Longfellow, George Morland the painter, John Wilkes and Charles Darwin.

Listing NGR: SZ5784880555

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SZ 57848 80555

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2014 at 08:56:17.