List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1032889

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SuffolkMid SuffolkDistrict AuthorityWingfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 280101

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WINGFIELD CHURCH ROAD TM 27 NW 5/152 Church of St. Andrew - 29.7.55 GV I

Parish church. Rebuilt in the period mid C14-early C15 following the founding of Wingfield College by the will of Sir John de Wingfield in 1362. Restored mid C19. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, west tower, south porch. Flint rubble with stone dressings. Nave and chancel roofs plaintiled, aisle roofs leaded. C14 3-stage square tower with 2-light belfry openings and crenellated brick parapet. South nave aisle has 4 2-light windows and a 3- light window to the west, all with original Decorated-style tracery and shafted internally. Late C14 porch; moulded nave doorway, the carved stops possibly representing Sir John and Lady Wingfield. 3-bay Lady Chapel to south of chancel added c.1430: C19 windows in Perpendicular style but to the east a good late C14 3-light window. All the windows are shafted internally. 3-bay north nave aisle with windows in Perpendicular style. The north chancel aisle comprises the Chapel of the Holy Trinity (now the vestry) and the Chapel of St. Margaret (now the organ chamber): various windows with a good late C14 3- light east window. Nave clerestory in 5 bays, with 3-light windows. The chancel has 7 closely-spaced 3-light clerestory windows and a good early C15 5-light east window. Interior Medieval nave roof with carved angels at the foot of the principals. The other roofs all much renewed in C19. 5-bay arcades between nave and aisles. The Chapel of St. Margaret is open to the chancel by a single enriched arch. To the north a fine canopied doorway leads into the Chapel of the Holy Trinity (the former Wingfield chantry chapel) which has an upper chamber with medieval screen and original paintwork to ceilings. The Lady Chapel has a lavishly decorated 3-bay arcade. Furnishings include early C15 carved font; good C15 stalls with misericords; dado of medieval rood screen with traceried panels; 2 C15 parclose screens complete with coving. 3 notable monuments. Sir John de Wingfield (1361), recessed in north chancel wall: stone effigy on tomb chest, with an enriched ogee canopy above. Michael de la Pole, 2nd Earl of Suffolk (1375) and Katherine his wife, at east end of Lady Chapel: very fine wooden effigies on a tomb chest around which are 13 canopied niches and (to the chancel) a triple sedilia. John de la Pole, 2nd Duke of Suffolk (1491) and Elizabeth his wife, against north chancel wall: very fine alabaster effigies on a tomb chest with a canopy and cresting above. For further details see Wingfield Church History & Guide (1984) and Pevsner.

Listing NGR: TM2300476812

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Wingfield Church Suffolk History and Guide - Date: 1984
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Suffolk - Date: 1961

National Grid Reference: TM 23004 76812

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 07:51:55.