List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: POST MILL 120M NORTH OF MILL COTTAGE

List entry Number: 1032625

Location

POST MILL 120M NORTH OF MILL COTTAGE, WOOLPIT ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SuffolkMid SuffolkDistrict AuthorityDrinkstone

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 15-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 280788

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DRINKSTONE 1228/1/35 WOOLPIT ROAD POST MILL, 120 METRES NORTH OF MILL COTTAGE (Formerly listed as: 15-NOV-54 WOOPIT ROAD DRINKSTONE MILL)

GV I

Post mill. Mid-late C16 (dendrochronology dates 1541-73, 1543-74 and 1586-7); rebuilt later C17, perhaps 1689 (carved date 'SS 1689'), re-using significant earlier structure. Altered C18-C19, including addition of roundhouse in early C19. Timber-framed and weatherboarded buck with 2 floors; small windows with boarded hatches. The rear gable cants forward, an unusual feature. Lean-to open porch. Single-storey roundhouse of flint rubble and red brick, with a plain tiled roof. The mill was tailpole-winded until 1940 when a second-hand wheeled carriage was fitted. The present 6-bladed fantail was brought from Woolpit Mill c.1965. INTERIOR: The main post (1586-7) is supported by 4 C16 quarter bars tenoned into 2 C18 crosstrees, resting on brick piers. The buck framing is unusual in that the crowntree does not carry side girts, but is tenoned into full-height vertical posts. This archaic design now only survives elsewhere at Bourn Mill, Cambridgeshire (q.v.), and in modified form at Six Mile Bottom Mill, Burrough Green, Cambridgeshire (q.v.). Much oak framing is re-used from the C16 mill, including heavy curved braces on the stone floor (thought to be unique in an English post mill), upper, mid and lower rails, and studding, halved over the curved braces but bisected by primary braces probably added in the C17 rebuild. All the C16 timbers are well-finished, with deep chamfers. Also re-used is a pair of jowled posts in the head, which probably carried longitudinal brays, part of the system for adjusting the single pair of millstones originally fitted. These timbers gave the mid C16 dendro dates. Buck extended to tail in C18, perhaps to accommodate the tail stones, and extended to head in C19. The top of the main post is reinforced by an iron collar, with wings extending under the crowntree. Intact machinery: 2 pairs of stones driven by brakewheel and tailwheel mounted on oak windshaft. The windshaft has been extended by a heavy iron casting integral with the poll end. The brakewheel originated as a compass-arm wheel in C17, and the tailwheel appears to have similar origins. Their wooden cogs were replaced by iron teeth in C19, when iron stone nuts and quants were fitted. C19 centrifugal governors control the tentering to each pair of stones, although the head stones retain hand tentering by a lighter staff, an unusual and archaic survival in the area. Chain-driven sack hoist. The interior contains many carvings and inscriptions, especially on the C18 meal bin to the head stones. Roundhouse has a brick-paved sunk floor. HISTORY: The mill last worked with 2 cloth-spread and 2 spring shuttered sails. The latter pair, the last spring sails in Suffolk, were removed 1995 and are stored on site. The earliest documentary reference to a mill on this site is in 1616; Robert Craske was miller in 1639. Worked by the Clover family from 1774 until the 1970's. The survival of much of the C16 post mill in its original context, and the lack of rebuilding since the later C17, mean that it is almost certainly the country's oldest post mill and therefore of outstanding interest. It forms part of a very significant group of mill-related buildings, including an engine-driven smock mill and Mill Cottage (q.v.). The mill plot has been designated a Conservation Area.



Listing NGR: TL9641862202

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 96418 62202

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2014 at 01:55:01.