List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1032364

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SuffolkMid SuffolkDistrict AuthorityWorlingworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 281396

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WORLINGWORTH CHURCH STREET TM 26 NW 5/115 Church of St Mary 29.7.55 - I Parish church. Medieval, restored 1866. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Flint rubble with stone dressings. Nave roof leaded, chancel plaintiled. Mid C15 square tower, 23m high; 4-stage diagonal buttresses with chequer flushwork; crenellated parapet, restored mid C20. Moulded west doorway with shield-carved spandrels; above is a renewed 3-light window. 2- light belfry openings. 4-bay nave, completed c.1478, with contemporary porch. Both are enriched with various flushwork designs on plinth and buttresses. Large 3-light windows. Good south doorway with 2 orders of shafts and many continuous mouldings; original door. Moulded north doorway with one order of shafts supporting a hoodmould; the jambs and arch are also carved with fleurons, masks and beasts' heads; original door. Fine porch, the facade with further flushwork designs and arched panelling above; moulded entrance arch, the spandrels carved with St George and the dragon; empty canopied statue niche; crenellated parapet with flushwork. Original roof with moulded timbers. 3-bay chancel of c.1300, the 2-light side windows and Priest's doorway substantially intact; 4-light east window with Geometric tracery. The windows are hoodmoulded internally. Interior. Nave has a fine original 9-bay double hammerbeam roof: pierced tracery above the lower hammerbeams and above the collars; enriched cornice; the angels at the ends of the lower hammerbeams are a mid C20 addition. Arched-braced chancel roof of 1866. Chancel has intact angle piscina of c.1300 with a drop-sill sedilia adjacent; a further piscina in the south-east nave. In north-east corner of nave is the roof loft stair with original arched entrances above and below. C15 octagonal font on a wide, 2-stepped base; bowl panels carved with Signs of the Evangelists and shield-bearing angels; 4 lions against the stem, at the base of which is an original inscription. Tall C15 font cover with crocketed and buttressed canopy, much restored; it was re-painted and gilded in 1963. Fine and unusual set of early C17 nave box pews, splaying outwards to west: carved ends with knob finials and back-to-back consoles; a carved panel to the front of one bench at the east end bears the date 1630. Early C17 carved hexagonal pulpit with suspended tester; later wooden base and other alteration. Dado of C15 rood screen with 6 2-light traceried panels. Mid-late C19 chancel furnishings including marble and stone reredos. Chancel contains 3 good wall monuments: Sir John Major (1781); Dame Ann Henniker (1792); Elizabeth, Dowager Duchess of Chandos (1813); for details see Pevsner. Several C17-C18 ledger slabs in nave. Tracery of nave windows contains fragments of C15 glass. Small remains of medieval wall painting on north nave wall; on south-east wall part of another painting, showing a fleur-de-lys and crown. Framed Arms of George III, c.1810, on north nave wall.

Listing NGR: TM2336468642

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 23364 68642

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Jul-2014 at 01:50:01.