List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST FAITH

List entry Number: 1031370

Location

CHURCH OF ST FAITH, CHURCH WALK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityKilsby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 361052

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KILSBY CHURCH WALK SP5671 14/159 Church of St. Faith 18/01/68

GV II*

Church. C13, restored 1868-9 by E. Christian and again in 1895. Uncoursed limestone and ironstone rubble, tower partly squared coursed sandstone, lead and tile roofs. Chancel with north chapel, aisled nave, south porch, west tower. C14 three-light window to chancel, tracery renewed C19. Perpendicular 2-light window with flat arched head and panel tracery to north chapel. Similar window in south wall of chancel and a C13 priests doorway with 2-light window of the same date to left of it. C19 window to south aisle. C19 south porch. Inner doorway C13 with single chamfered arch and C19 plank door. C13 tower of 3 stages with crenellated parapet, gargoyle water spouts and octagonal spire. The west doorway has a single chamfered arch and lancet window above. Bell openings of 2 cusped lights with C19 tracery. Part of jamb and arch of blocked doorway in right bay of north aisle. Perpendicular 3-light window with square head in left bay and C19 window in the centre. The east window of the north aisle is probably C13 but the head is blocked by a wood lintel. Interior: 4-bay nave arcades with octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches. North chapel has Perpendicular 4-centred arch opening to north aisle. C19 roofs. Box pews. Stained glass in east window, 1869, by Powell and Sons, with the Crucifixion by Doyle. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.276).

Listing NGR: SP5631671137

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 276

National Grid Reference: SP 56316 71137

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 06:30:16.