List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1030766

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SuffolkSuffolk CoastalDistrict AuthoritySwefling

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 285359

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TM 36 SW SWEFFLING THE STREET

7/121 Church of St Mary

7.12.66 II*

Parish church. Medieval; restored 1832 and late C19. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch, north vestry (built originally as a schoolroom). Flint rubble, with some coursed work to nave and chancel; nave heightened in red brick; stone dressings; slated roof to nave, plaintiled roof to chancel. C15 tower: 3-stage diagonal buttresses to the west face and flat parapet, both with flushwork decoration; restored 2-light west window, 2-light bell chamber openings, the tracery missing on the west and north openings. Late C12 nave,heightened and re-fenestrated in C15: 2-light windows, 3 to south and 2 to north. Fine C15 porch: knapped flint with panelled flushwork to the plinth and lower facade; moulded entrance arch with carved spandrels and 3 empty canopied niches above; stone parapet enriched with flushwork; original side openings. Late C12 nave doorway: one order of shafting, capitals with upright leaves and semi-circular roll-moulded arch. Early C14 chancel with renewed lancet windows to north and south, a C19 Priest's doorway and a renewed 3-light east window with intersecting tracery. The fabric of the east chancel wall contains 2 former windows of C12: these may have been taken from the nave. Chancel roof replaced 1832; nave roof plastered over. C13 Purbeck marble font bowl on modern base; cinquefoil-headed piscina in south santuary. Royal Arms of Anne on north nave wall; below are painted copies of the Lord's Prayer, Commandments and Creed. Graded II* for medieval fabric.

Listing NGR: TM3473463849

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 34734 63849

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 03:56:49.