List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

List entry Number: 1030218

Location

CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, ESHER PARK AVENUE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyElmbridgeDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 14-Aug-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 286721

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 16SW BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE ESHER PARK AVENUE

Esher

5/143 Church of St. George 14.8.53.

GV I

Church, now disused. 1540 with south chapel of 1725-6, probably by Sir John Vanbrugh, north aisle chapel added in 1812. Stone with flint and tile in chequerboard pattern to nave and chancel, brick aisle chapels, plain tiled roofs with Horsham slabs to eaves, hipped slate roof over square wood and weatherboard western bell turret- louvred aobove under wooden and copper weathervane. Nave and chancel with north aisle chapel south chapel with porch attached to the west end. West front: double planked and ribbed west doors with lancet window and diamond shape wooden clock face above. Plat band and brick plinth to south side, stone coped battlements over north aisle chapel. Windows to nave chancel and chapel, arched glazing bar sashes. Double planked doors to south porch. On north and south sides of chancel are aedicular type wall monuments- stone with illegible inscriptions on south side, dedicated to John Cobbett, died 1755, on north.

Interior: Nave and chancel in one, open timber roof with tie and collar beams, 3 bays to nave, 2 bays with crown-post truss to chancel. Oak round pier arcade to north with moulded capitals and panelled gallery between piers. South wall: screen to Newcastle pew of two Corinthian angle piers and columns with pediment above. Gallery to west end, 1840-1, the gift of Sir Thomas Lynch, Governor of Jamaica. Panelled with central oval bow on thin fluted round wood columns. Newcastle pew to south: square with moulded panelled ceiling, central octagonal panel, greek style moulding to edge, coved.

Fittings: 4 painted wood shields over south wall, C20 circular scalloped marble font on baluster stem. C18 three-decker panelled pulpit with tester. Fine pedimented reredos, panelled and articulated by Ionic pilasters with turned baluster altar rails to front dated 1722.

Monuments: South nave wall over south door: dedicated to Barwell Brown 1820. Stone, square with moulded composite columns, battlemented across top. Centre arched panel with rich tracery and foliage decoration. Thomas Winchop : stone cartouche with centre inscription, winged putti to top and skull below. South Chancel wall: Dedicated to Elizabeth Ellis. 1804 by Flannel R.A. Green marble ground, white marble above with rich foliage carving, Greek geometric pattern around the edge. Further monument below to Elizabeth Ellis : chest tomb in Greek Revival style- pedimented with corner palmettes and dove carving. South chancel wall (over the window): Tomb dedicated to Elizabeth Augustus. Died 1757 grey marble ground with white rectangular panel. Greek geometric pattern, drapery cresting and two dogs flanking shield. East wall, north half: Dedicated to Henry de Panthieu. Died 1808. Grey and white marble, 2 stage aedicular type monument, segmental pediment containing oak tree to top. Fluted centre panel . Panel below to John Panthieu. 1817. Panel on square oak garlanded cill blocks. North chancel wall. Tomb to Dame Mary Fowler. Died 1738. By Henry Cheere. White stone rectangle with flanking scrolls, rich egg and dart moulding, husk garlands down the sides. Projecting cill band with cherub's head on the apron below. North aisle chapel, west wall: Monument to Leopold and Princess Charlotte. 1817 by F.J. Williamson. Venetian window style with arched centre panel showing Prince Leopold and Princess Charlotte tending the poor. Flat topped left panel depicts the death of Princess Charlotte. Right hand panel depicts Prince Leopold accepting the Crown of Belgium. Originially placed on the staircase on the staircase at Claremont.

Listing NGR: TQ1394864622

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 13946 64623

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Sep-2014 at 12:57:28.