List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1030064

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreySurrey HeathDistrict AuthorityBisley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Feb-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 287071

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 95NE BISLEY C.P. CHURCH LANE

9/2 Church of St. John the Baptist 28/2/55 II*

Church. C13 with C14 porch. Early C19 chancel and north aisle 1873. Carstone to aisle walls with sandstone block dressings, stock brick chancel and brick extensions, timber framed porch. Plain tiled roofs with weatherboard belfry under wood shingled broach spire to west. Nave with pent roof aisle to north, chancel to east with vestry and extensions to south; bellcote and porch to west end. Buttresses to west end; stone dressed windows, 3-light to south, one C14, one C19. Lancet windows to east end. Arched planked door in stone surround with dogtooth decoration; hood mould over with end stops. Timber framed porch, open over panelled dado walls, moulded mullions above.

Interior:- Simple, whitewash interior, 2 bay north aisle with round piers and chamfered arches; timber frame of belfry to west end with moulded beams tying into walls.

Fittings:- Wood panelled pulpit. Sandstone font with octagonal bowl, panelled decorations on each face alternating roundels and celtic crosses. Octagonal stem on plinth below.

V.C.H. Vol. II p.428-9, 453. III p398. PEVSNER. Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) p.112.

Listing NGR: SU9578759592

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Malden, H E , The Victoria History of the County of Surrey, (1905), 428-9
Malden, H E, The Victoria History of the County of Surrey: Volume III, (1911), 398
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971)

National Grid Reference: SU 95787 59592

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 09:42:14.