List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1029647

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, ASH CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyGuildfordDistrict AuthorityAsh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 288062

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 85 SE ASH C.P. ASH CHURCH ROAD

3/1 Church of St Peter

14.6.67.

GV II*

Church. C12 south door and walls,some C13 remains in Chancel, C15 tower, C16 south porch; all restored in 1865 when the north aisle and north chancel chapel were added. Roughly coursed flint and sandstone rubble nave with ashlar quoin dressings, coursed heath-stone tower and north walls. Plain tiled roofs,renewed to north, with wooden shingle broach spire. Nave with north aisle, chancel to east with north chancel chapel and vestry, porch to south and square tower to south west corner. Short tower with orbelled eaves, small two- light, louvred openings to top of each face, irregular, small, openings on remaining faces. Larger plate tracery window to south. Three-light. cusped tracery windows to buttressed north aisle, large C19 windows to east end. One C13 lancet window survives in south chancel wall. Arched double doors to west end of north aisle, single door at junction of tower to west end. South door circa 1170, in arched stone surround with one order of jamb shafts and outer fillet roll moulding. Timber framed, gabled, porch to south with cusped barge- board and brick infilling. Interior: Tiled floor, four bay, round pier, arcade to north aisle; crown-post roof to aisle. C14 chalk chancel arch on restored half-octagonal responds. Two bay, round pier, arcade between chancel and north chapel with foliage capitals. C13 Piscina on south chancel wall. Wavy edge decoration to south door and tower arch.

Fittings: Marble and mosiac reredos in new chapel. C20 screens. C19 stone pulpit. Octagonal C17 wooden font with lead lined bowl on centre stem with 8 detached columns. Monuments: East wall of old chancel: Monument to Reverend John Harris. Died 1759. White stone on grey stone ground, black stone inscription panel. Flanking scrolls over eared apron below on gadrooned base. Skll, serpent and glass carvings in apron, floral garlands and cartouche over keystoned arch to top. North arcade of Chancel: Monument to Judith Harris. Died 1765. Triangular white pyramid with grey roundel, cherubs head above apron with flowers below. PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) page 97.

Listing NGR: SU8974750778

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Surrey - Date: 1971 - Page References: 97

National Grid Reference: SU 89747 50778

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2014 at 08:41:56.