List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CATHOLIC APOSTOLIC CHURCH AND CHAPTERHOUSE

List entry Number: 1029568

Location

CATHOLIC APOSTOLIC CHURCH AND CHAPTERHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyGuildfordDistrict AuthorityAlbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 288282

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 04 NE ALBURY C.P. SHERBOURNE

5/25 Catholic Apostolic 14.6.67 Church and Chapterhouse II*

Church and chapter house. 1840 for Henry Drummond by W M Brookes and Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin in Perpendicular style. Ashlar plinth, sandstone rubble walls set in ironstone galleting, slate roofs. Cruciform plan with tower to west end and octagonal chapter house attached to north east. Vestries to east end. Four-stage tower to west, square with battlemented parapet, crocketed corner finials and pyramidal roof crowned by a stone cross. One 2-light louvred opening in top stage under label moulding, on all faces. Angle buttresses to lower stages. Large, four-light west window. Buttressed three bay nave with arched three-light windows under mouldings. Battlemented parapets and diagonal buttresses to west end. Small, square metal turret to nave roof on tapering plinth, an arched entrance on each side. Large four-light transept windows to north and south. Large roundel with flowing tracery to east end. Single storey vestries across end. Octagonal chapter house to north connected to north transept by two-bay, single storey corridor with two single-light, ogee tracery windows under label mouldings. Buttressed chapter house with crocketed finials. One three-light Rectilinear window under flat lintel to each face. Door to chapter house in west face in moulded and chamfered surround. Small tower doors to north and south. Large panelled doors to west end in chamfered surround under open, trefoil head arched arcade. Moulded capitals to jamb shafts with quatrefoil carving in coved spandrels.

Interior: Six bays. Transept arches with thin jamb shafts and funnel capitals. King post roof with trefoil arcading to sides. Tower arch to west. Texts painted on nave walls.

Fittings: C19 pews and fittings with crocketed decoration. Elaborate panelled pulpit with arcaded balustrade to stairway. Billeted screen to organ loft across north transept. Octagonal stone font on carved octagonal stand with elaborate crocketed wooden font cover over. C19 chancel fittings, including choir stalls and reredos. Painted walls. Original stained glass.

The Church was built for Henry Drummond's Catholic Apostolic Sect formed in the 1830s and concentrated at Albury in 1835. The last apostle died in 1901 and the last service was held at the church in 1950.

Listing NGR: TQ0603148139

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 06031 48144

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2014 at 12:59:54.