List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ALBURY PARK

List entry Number: 1029565

Location

ALBURY PARK, NEW ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyGuildfordDistrict AuthorityAlbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 288274

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 04 NE ALBURY C.P. NEW ROAD Albury Park

5/17 Albury Park 14.6.67

GV II*

House. C16 origins on older cellars, rebuilt by John and George Evelyn in C17, altered circa 1700 and extended by Sir John Soane in 1800, further altered by Hakewill in the early C19 and remodelled by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin in 1846 - 1852, possibly with the assistance of his son Edward Welby Pugin. Galleted ironstone with brick dressings and plain tiled roofs. In Tudor Gothic style.

Entrance front: Three storeys with attic storey in taller tower to right end. Battlemented parapets obscuring the roofs. Multiple rubbed and cut brick stacks in varying patterns to ends and centre, some of the 63 chimneys on the house - its main feature - each of different design. Nine bays with string courses over ground and first floors. Buttressed two-bay break to left and right end, brick dressed casement fenestration with 7 windows across first floor and 9 windows above. One large stone dressed casement window to left of centre. Six larger windows to ground floor, stone dressed and with arched stone lights to recessed entrance bays. Arched door to right of centre, further door to right.

Left hand return front: (North side facing gardens) Two storeys and attics with 4 gabled dormers alternating with chimneys. Two storey, spindly porch to left with octagonal angle piers and brick finials. Chamfered arched brick surround under label moulding with shields over.

Rear: (East elevation) Square tower to left with angle bay to ground and first floors. Single storey service wings to right hand side.

Interior: Remnants of earlier remodelling survive. Library - modelled by Evelyn with C17 brick and stone fireplace, dentilled eaves with egg and dart pattern. Hall - Soane staircase survives, one arm winding around a narrow oblong well. Drawing Room - Flaxman fireplace recently reinstated. Marble with caryatids and scroll and flower work. The house is set out in grounds laid out by John Evelyn.

PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971), p.93. COUNTRY LIFE: AUGUST 25 and SEPTEMBER 1 1950, pp.598 and 674.

Listing NGR: TQ0638447696

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 93
'Country Life' in 1 September, (1950)
'Country Life' in 25 August, (1950), 598
Other
Part 40 Surrey,

National Grid Reference: TQ 06390 47700

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 05:50:54.