List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARTHA ON THE HILL

List entry Number: 1029553

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARTHA ON THE HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyGuildfordDistrict AuthoritySt. Martha

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 288351

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 04 NW ST MARTHA CP ST MARTHA'S HILL

4/94 Church of St Martha 14.6.67 on the Hill

II

Church. C12 remains incorporated or rebuilt into new church 1848-1850 by Henry Woodyer in Norman style. Dark Bargate stone with sandstone dressings and plain tiled roof. Cruciform plan with central crossing tower. Tower: one lancet to each face in zig-zag moulded surrounds, corbelled parapet to pyramidal roof. West end of church buttressed. Lancet windows throughout, west window with scalloped capitals to jamb shafts. Three light window to east wall of north and south transepts, three light window to east end. Round arched, C12 recess to studded west door with impost abaci. Stone dressed, roll moulded surround to south door placed in pentice break.

Interior: Simple, five framed bays to nave roof, crown post trusses. Four pointed arches to crossing - C12 (circa 1170) with semi-circular respond piers to north trancept under scalloped capitals.

Fittings: "Tub" font, C12 - recut in 1850. Brought from Hambledon. Stone with a flat wooden top.

Pulpit: Chalk, 1850. Panelled and roll moulded with Romanesque scalloped capitals to shafts, gable moulding on bottom with battering plinth.

Screen: Circa 1900. Wood, cusped with foliage carving. Tudor style arch to centre.

PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971).

Listing NGR: TQ0281448302

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Surrey - Date: 1971

National Grid Reference: TQ 02814 48302

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2014 at 04:40:19.