List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ALDRO SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1029521

Location

ALDRO SCHOOL, LOMBARD STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyGuildfordDistrict AuthorityShackleford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-May-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 288371

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 94 NW SHACKLEFORD CP LOMBARD STREET

2/114 Aldro School

GV II

House, now school. 1894-1896 incorporating part of C18 house to left, porch added in 1906. By Henry Tanner Jnr for Sir Edgar Horne. Coursed Bargate stone to left with red brick above, stone dressings and rendered gable. Galleted sandstone with brick dressings to left, plain tiled roofs of varying heights, hipped to ends. L-shaped plan with wing projecting to front left, cobbled courtyard in re-entrant angle.

Left range: C18. Two storeys with plat band over ground floor and moulded wooden eaves board with corbelled ridge stack to left, massive ribbed Norman Shaw style stack to right at junction with main house. Sash fenestration with four glazing bar sash windows to first floor under gauged brick cambered heads. Three taller windows below. Small part glazed doors to ground floor right in re-entrant angle. Lower hipped roof wing to right angles at left end.

Main house: massive gable, jettied on moulded bressumer, with four brackets, two to ends and one either side of centre. Three louvred "breathers" under bracketed flat hoods to gable apex with three casement windows below under similar hoods and two leaded shallow angle bay wood framed casements on first floor flanking one 2-light casement to centre. Projecting ground floor with central break containing three leaded mullioned and transomed windows. Doric columned two bay arcade either side with keystones supporting entablature, blocked to left. One bay return to right end. End stack to right with angle bay attached to plinth, linking to right hand range set back. Plinth with coved eaves course and flat roof and flat roofed multi-light dormers. Three casement windows on first floor, 3 windows below. Panelled doors in left side of ground floor to centre.

Rear: three large dormers with heavy gables, jettied on braces. Angle bay to right end. Tall staircase window and stone mullioned oriel to centre. Tudor style wing to left.

Interior: considerable amounts of panelling visible, C18 and part C20 staircase with barley-sugar balusters and scrolled tread ends - taken from a house in Chiswick. Baroque fireplace surround and C19 plaster panelled ceiling to ground floor room on left.

Gardens originally laid out by Gertrude Jekyll.

PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) page 451.

Listing NGR: SU9337545453

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Surrey - Date: 1971 - Page References: 451

National Grid Reference: SU 93375 45453

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 04:47:09.