List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1029258

Location

CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyGuildfordDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 288969

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 9949NE & SU 9949SE GUILDFORD HIGH STREET (South Side)

5/105 & 8/105 Church of 1/5/53 Holy Trinity

GV I

Church. Weston Chapel to south west circa 1540, remainder of old church rebuilt in 1749-1763 by James Horne of London in Palladian style; nave fenestration altered by Henry Woodyer in 1869, apsidal east end and transepts added by Sir A. W. Blomfield in 1888 and vestry built in 1913. Flint and freestone chequerwork on Weston Chapel, red/brown brick with gauged brick and stone dressings and slate roofs on remainder. Nave with apsidal chancel and two transepts, vestry to south east and tower to west end. Three stage tower with stone-coped battlements and large wrought-iron scrolled and gilded finial on top. Small block-rusticated angle quoins to each stage with stone modillioned cornice across upper stage and Portland stone plat bands over central and lower stages. Rainwater heads on lower dated 1764. One louvred round-headed, two-light opening on each face of upper stage under gauged brick head and with stone sills. One leaded round-headed window to west face,middle stage,with lunette window below in lowest stage. Clock face on tower contains motto of the Onslow family "Make haste slowly". West end pediment broken by tower. One round-arched window on first floor to either side of tower with brick pedimented doorcase in lugged moulded surround below to north and south, keyed roundel window over the former. Double doors to centre of west front in pedimented keystoned and lugged surround approached up a flight of 3 steps. South side: Weston Chapel to south west of two bays with diagonal offset buttresses alternating with two large diamond-pane,3-light windows in hollow chamfered surrounds and with ogee-head tracery to centre light and hood mould over. Stone cornice and 4 round-arched windows on south side of nave with gauged brick heads. Pedimented south transept with stone stack on apex and keyed stone-dressed roundel in tympanum. Venetian window in stone-dressed surround with Doric-column mullions, hexagonal-glazing and scrolled keystone to arched centre light. Apsidal east end with blind round-arched arcading,with moulded brick caps to the piers,and stone sills below. Foundation stone of apse laid by Edward Harold, Bishop of Winchester. North side facing High Street:- Six round-headed windows on stone string course to nave, that to right smaller and over Portland stone pedimented door surround with block rustication and double panelled doors. Transept to east of similar design to south transept but projecting less boldly. Interior:- Octagonal entrance hall under tower with round-headed niches on canted angles; larger niches on principal axial walls. Central octagonal panel to ceiling. Main body of church gutted in 1869 when galleries to north and south were removed. West gallery survives on fluted Doric columns placed on tall panelled pedestals. Panelled front and three doors to rear of gallery behind the box pews; that to centre in pedimented surround. Dado panelling on north and south nave walls, deep plasterwork ceiling above with elongated central octagonal panel separated from side panels by guilloche decorated ribs. Modillioned eaves cornice to walls. Triple arched opening across east end of nave with early C20 wrought iron screens across, those in flanking arches with marble riser plinths. Venetian-window pattern screen walls to north and south of chancel, stone,and in the Corinthian order, giving access to chancel chapels. Panelled ceiling over the chancel decorated with roundels, painted and mosaic half-dome over the apse depicting an enthroned Madonna and Saints. Fittings:- Pulpit. Circa 1770 but in style of Wren. Panelled octagonal pulpit on octagonal stem and with domed sounding board above on fluted Ionic columns. Font in octagonal baptistry with panelled ceiling to south west corner, adjacent to the tower. Rich Baroque style with red marble bowl on centre stem decorated with cherubs heads and acanthus leafs; domed and composite-columned font cover above. Monuments:- North Chancel Chapel (Queens Chapel) contains memorials to the Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment including marble and gilt first world war memorial. Second World War memorial on north wall of nave - Mahogany with central shell niche flanked by four panels either side and under Corinthian pediment. Octagonal entrance hall North Side:- Tomb to Sir Robert Parkhurst, Lord Mayor of London, d,1637, and his wife and daughter-in-law. Stiff Reclining figure with black marble background and marble columns supporting Doric entablature above, strapwork panel to rear and round crest over. Tomb on south wall to Lady Weston (afterwards Lady Anne Knyvett). Female figure on box tomb of Elizabethan origin and possibly from another monument. Pilaster piers on box tomb below with vivid, deep-carved roundels containing skulls behind grids. South Nave Wall:- Memorial to James Smith. Died 1710/1. Marble. Draped obelisk under nautilus shell finial and draperied cartouche. South Nave Wall - Memorial to Arthur Onslow, Speaker of the House of commons. White marble and grey stone slate with semi-recumbant effigy in noble Roman dress. South Chancel Chapel:- Memorial to George Abbot, Archbishop of Canterbury and founder of Abbots Hospital, Guildford (qv). Died 1633, erected 1640. Designed by Gerard Christmas and carved by his sons Matthew and John; the most important memorial in the Church. T-shaped plan, the long arm being a six-column canopy above the recumbant effigy of the Archbishop, the short arm against the east wall and containing niches and crowned with allegorical figures. Polychrome marble black columns resting on pedestals composed of books with skulls in relief against the base below Abbot's head. Elaborate strapwork and scrolled pediment canopy with figures including immortality, humility and the virtues. A complex allegorical tomb symbolising learning as the foundation of temporal greatness and spiritual salvation. The church is partly modelled on Horne's now demolished Church of St. Catherine Coleman in Fenchurch Street, London; and forms an important landmark in the street scene of Guildford, being known as "the Upper Church". Photographs in N.M.R.

PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp.270-272. M. ALEXANDER: GUILDFORD AS IT WAS (1978) V.C.H. SURREY (1967 Edn) VOL. III pp.567-9. J. BURKE: ARCHBISHOP ABBOTS TOMB AT GUILDFORD: A PROBLEM IN EARLY CAROLINE ICONOGRAPHY. P.M. JOHNSTON: SCHEWLED ANTIQUITIES OF SURREY (1913).

Listing NGR: SU9988149499

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Alexander, M, Guildford As It Was, (1978)
Burke, J , Archbishop Abbots Tomb at Guildford A Problem in Early Caroline Iconography
Malden, H E, The Victoria History of the County of Surrey: Volume III, (1911), 567-569
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 270-272
Other
PM Johnston, Schedule of Surrey Antiquities, (1913)

National Grid Reference: SU 99881 49499

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 05:08:11.