List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FLANCHFORD MILL

List entry Number: 1029111

Location

FLANCHFORD MILL, FLANCHFORD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyReigate and BansteadDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 31-Mar-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Dec-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 289318

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 24 NW FLANCHFORD ROAD (East, off) Leigh 902/25/272 Flanchford Mill 31.03.1977 II*

Watermill. Mid-C18 ("1768" etched in wall of pit floor), for James Scawen (Stidder, p29)); restored 1997. Timber-frame with replacement weatherboard cladding on basement (pit floor) of red brick in Flemish bond. Replacement plain tile roof. 3 floors; 1 x 3 bays, gable-end on. Windows are C20 replacements. Old board doors with strap-hinges. East end has door at ground-floor and loading door above with narrow window over. Alongside south side is breast-shot water-wheel of 1870, much-decayed. The brick basement has two round-arched openings for shafts, and 3 windows to ground floor. Further door to north side. Interior: Original timber frame survives well, having unjowelled posts braced to rails and sole-plate, vertical studs; roof has raking queen struts up to principal rafters, coupled common rafters with plank collars nailed on, no ridge-piece; large-scantling chamfered cross-beams and joists; old floorboards, particularly to 1st floor. Pit floor retains some horizontal board lining. In roof, six grain bins set between wooden staging, with trap-doors for sacks. Much original machinery remains (some parts collapsed) including: pit wheels and gearing linking waterwheel and millstones, sack-hoist and flour grader. Of the two original pairs of millstones, one basestone survives in situ with the wooden housing for the other. An unusual example of an C18 weatherboard watermill which retains much of its original machinery. D Stidder, The Watermills of Surrey (Barracuda Books Ltd), 1990, pp 28-30, illus p 16.



Listing NGR: TQ2351747960

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Stidder, D, The Watermills of Surrey, (1990), 28-30

National Grid Reference: TQ 23517 47960

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 03:18:27.