List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHRIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1028762

Location

CHRIST CHURCH, BROOME HALL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyMole ValleyDistrict AuthorityCapel

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 290178

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAPEL C.P. BROOME HALL ROAD TQ 14SW Coldharbour 7/67 Christ Church II

Church. 1848 by B. Ferrey, restored by W. Caröe in 1904. C13 style. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings and plain tiled roofs, restored in C20. Nave with gabled porch to south, bellcote to west end, chancel to east and vestry to north. Bellcote to west; two arched openings under gabled top with flanking stone off- sets. Three 2-light and trefoil roundel tracery windows under hood mouldings to south side, alternating with buttresses, four windows on north. 1 similar window and one trefoil head lancet on south side of chancel, square gabled projection to north with angle buttresses and gable roundel. East window of three, ogee, lights and 5-petal roundel over with mouchettes. Plate tracery roundel to west with two- light and quatrefoil window below, between double flanking buttresses, the inner ones offset and linked by stringcourse, the outer ones diagonal. Large scale gabled timber porch to south with scalloped and pierced bargeboards. Steeply cambered tie-beam over entrance flanked by leaded, ogee-arched lancets, panelled and glazed side windows. Chamfered, arched stone door surround. Priests door in south side of chancel. Interior:- Simple, with large moulded and chamfered chancel arch. Standard C19 fittings. The church forms an important feature in a remote unspoilt village.

PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.165.

Listing NGR: TQ1489543668

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 165

National Grid Reference: TQ 14895 43668

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 09:12:43.