List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

List entry Number: 1028694

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, COLES LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyMole ValleyDistrict AuthorityOckley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 290318

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OCKLEY C.P. COLES LANE TQ 14SE 8/203 Church of 11/11/66 St. Margaret GV II*

Church. C12 with C14 nave, C15 porch and tower rebuilt in 1699. Restored and enlarged in 1873 with new aisle and larger chancel. Galleted Bargate and sand- stone, some coursed in tower, the majority rubble. Horsham slab roofs with ridge cresting. Nave and chancel (to east) porch to south with tower to west and aisle and vestry to north. Two stage tower with angle buttresses to west end. Lower stage. String courses over ground and first stages, battlemented parapet above. Perpendicular style fenestration of paired, single-light round- head lancets on lower stage, louvred on upper stage to south and west faces. Additional slit lancet to upper stage north face. South side:- Two C19 Decorated. style windows and one C16 two-light, flat head window. Alternating offset buttresses on south side of chancel with two re-cut Decorated style windows. Diagonal buttresses to east end. Three-light C19 window to east with moulded surround. Shouldered head, foiled lancet fenestration on vestry with offset ridge stack to end. Two Decorated style C19 windows on north side, alternating with buttresses; larger 3-light and roundel window on west end of north aisle. Restored, gabled,timber framed porch to south on brick plinth with herringbone brick infill to lower courses and turned baluster rails above. Braced arched entrance and braced crown-post roof. Interior:- Stone flagged tower floor with pointed, one step arches on moulded caps to pier supports. C14 wall plates in nave but with later, tall thin crown- post roof above, central collar moulding to crown posts , which rest on square- plinths and are braced both ways. Two bay nave, 3-bay chancel, those in chancel copies. Octagonal pier arcade to north aisle with moulded caps, chamfered 2- step moulded arches with human head corbels to hood mouldings. Fittings:- C19 majority. Octagonal stone font on centre stem. Organ by Holcroft. Reredos by Messrs Pavell from a design by Harry Burrow. The bells are reputedly the oldest hanging peal by Richard Phelps of the Whitechapel Bell Foundry.

PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.395. V.C.H. SURREY VOL. III

Listing NGR: TQ1568040655

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Malden, H E , The Victoria History of the County of Surrey, (1902)
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 395

National Grid Reference: TQ 15680 40655

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 10:26:14.