List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ASHTEAD PARK HOUSE AND ATTACHED BALUSTRADES

List entry Number: 1028682

Location

ASHTEAD PARK HOUSE AND ATTACHED BALUSTRADES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyMole ValleyDistrict AuthorityNon Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 290389

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASHTEAD ASHTEAD PARK TQ 1857-1957 8/7 7.9.51 Ashtead Park House and attached balustrades

GV II*

Large house, now school, and attached balustrades. Completed in 1790 by Sir Thomas Wyatt, to designs by Joseph Bonomi, for Richard Bagoti; enlarged and altered in or after 1880 by Sir Thomas Lucas. Yellow stock brick in Flemish bond with Portland stone dressings, additions of Portland stone ashlar; lead roof cladding. Rectangular plan on east west axis, with pavillions added at both ends and service wing attached to the west end of that to the west. Classicial style. The main block is of 3 storeys and 7 bays over a concealed basement, symmetrical, with a string course, 1st floor sill-band, dentilled cornice and balustraded parapet with corner urns; the wider central bay is covered at ground floor by a prominent tetrastyle porte cochere of Tuscan columns and pilasters with triglyph and wreath entablature, emphatic mutuled cornice and balustraded parapet with corner urns, and the flanking bays have a loggia in matching stule; and under the porte cochere is a glazed screen with glazed double doors. Above the entrance, the centre has a 1st floor a tipartite sashed window under a large segmental pediment in swan-neck form, and over this a carved shield of arms in a blind window, flanked by narrow windows. Other- wise, the windows on successive floors are 15, 12, and 6-pane sashes with moulded stone architraves and set-in wooden blind-hoods. The sunk basement is concealed by a Portland stone balustrade of vase balusters (some replaced in concrete). The roof has 4 large rectangular chimneys with ashlar cornices. The flanking single-storey 3-bay pavillions have balustraded parapets but otherwise differ: that to the left (formerly the billiard room= has swagged Ionic pilasters, a large tripartite window in the centre and panels in the outer bays; that to the right (formerly the conservatory) has swagged Ionic semi-columns and tall round-headed windows, and its 7-bay side wall has projected pedimented outer bays and glazed double doors in the centre. The service wing of 2 low storeys and 7 bays has 12- and 6-pane sashed windows with architraves matching those of the main block, a hippd roof with 6 tall chimneys, and at the west end a bellcote with round-headed openings, segmental pediment and domed cap. Also included are the balustrades protecting the basement areas to front and rear. Rear: the main block has a tetrastyle porch matching the style of the porte cochere at the front, and fenestration likewise matching the front; the pavillions have channelled rustication, their centres break forwards and have panels over the windows carved with lions' masks and swags, their outer bays have coved niches, and fire escapes are attached to both. Interior: entrance hall (altered in Jacobean style in late C19), leading to circular saloon of c.1790 which has scagliola columns with tonic caps and continuous plaster frieze including lyres and anthemions, Adam-style ceiling, double doors in the cardinal sides and coved niches in the others; on the east side of this, a drawing room with fine Palladian-style decoration including fluted Ionic pilasters at each end, large picture panels with "trophies" of musical instruments, egg-and-dart surrounds and elaborate foilated cresting, and a coved oval ceiling with similar decoration; doglegged principal staircase with Adam-style bronze balustrade and moulded plaster decoration, and secondary staircase with scrolled balustrade; other principal rooms redecorated in late C19 in heavy Jacobean style.

Listing NGR: TQ1947557912

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ1951157928

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Aug-2014 at 07:17:01.