List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LE PELERIN

List entry Number: 1028662

Location

LE PELERIN, GUILDFORD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyMole ValleyDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Aug-1990

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 290438

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FETCHAM GUILDFORD ROAD TQ/15/NE (north side) 3/51

7.9.51 Le Pelerin (formerly listed as The Old Rising Sun)

II*

Medieval hall-house, now restaurant. Probably later C14 or earlier C15; altered in C16 and subsequently, with additions c.1790 and 1807. Timber frame with rendered cladding (perhaps stone), with additions of tile-hung brick and weather- boarded timber framing; roofs of red tile and some red pantiles; brick chimneys. T-shaped plan formed by 3-bay medieval hall range with added wing at right- hand end, and various extensions to the rear. The principal range, of 2 low storeys and 3 bays, has a slate-roofed verandah to the centre bay, which has a plank door to the right with strap hinges and a 9-pane sashed window on each floor to the left; the 1st bay has an added semi-octagonal bay window with a panelled door in the right-hand side, and the 3rd bay is covered at ground floor by a lean-to addition, the centre of the roof cut away to accommodate a 9-pane sashed window at 1st floor. The roof is hipped at the left end and gabled at the right-hand end (very close to the wing), and has a chimney at the left end of the ridge. The left gable wall has a 9-pane sash at 1st floor, and a lean-to addition towards the rear. At the rear there is a weather-boarded 2-storey wing in the centre, which has a lean-to at its gable end, with some studs and nogging. The higher 2-storey wing at the right-hand end projects, is tile-hung, has a transomed 6-light casement window at ground floor and a 4-pane sash above, and a hipped roof. The right-hand return wall has an extruded chimney stack to the 1st bay, and its continuation (probably originally agricultural rather than domestic) is of weather-boarded timber-framing in 2 sections, with a modern porch in matching materials added to the 2nd of these, and a hipped pantiled roof. The principal features of interest, however, are in the interior, where the main range contains most of the structure of an open hall (which may originally have been aisled), though with a ceiling inserted in the C16 or C17. This appears to have been of 3 bays, and of post-and-truss construction with a crown-post collar-rafter roof: at 1st floor 3 formerly open frames are visible, approx. 3 metres apart and the 3rd abutting the wing, with cavetto-moulded tie- beams, similarly decorated arch-braces of large scantling at both ends of the 1st beam and at the rear end of the 2nd (the other missing, leaving a vacant mortice), and the 3rd tie-beam severed for a doorway (and the braces, if present, concealed). Also visible are cavetto-moulded wall-plates, including one in the front wall beyond the 1st frame (showing that the structure continued in that direction). Visible in the roof are 3 plain crown posts of square section with arch-braces to a collar purlin, and close-set braced coupled rafters, all these of large scantling but none decorated (or smoke-blackened). The wall-posts are mostly concealed, but the foot of that at the north end of the 1st frame has cavetto moulding. The outer face of the 3rd frame (narrowly separated from the side of the wing) is plastered, apparently through the full height, suggesting that there was no contemporary cross-wing at this end. The timbers of the inserted ceiling, and an associated longitudinal passage, are crudely shaped and undecorated, and there is a small inglenook fireplace at the end wall of the 1st bay. Otherwise, the exposed timber-framing of the wing (the rear end of which is open to the roof) appears to be of C18 or early C19 date, and there is a rectangular fireplace in the side-wall of the front room.

Listing NGR: TQ1601256045

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 16012 56045

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2014 at 09:00:01.